cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are the top 5 brands for 5W?

punjab66
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to switch from a TT to a 5W. Can someone list the top 5 brands for quality and dependability. Thanks
92 REPLIES 92

punjab66
Explorer
Explorer
Are you happy with your Open Range?

punjab66
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
DRV, Excel, Nu-Wa, LifeStyle, Holiday Rambler (they are making them again). All of these are more than $100K when new. And most run more than 18,000 pounds. Good quality weighs a lot. And requires a very strong truck. A 3500/350 Dually at a MINIMUM.

In the lower and mid-range, manufactured quality is about the same. They can be OK, but all these manufacturers build a lemon once in a while.

If you buy used, look at Carriage, Teton, Titanium, New-Mar.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco would be on my list. I've had better luck with higher end used rvs than low to mid stuff. I'm Leary of lip pert and we were ready for a change so we just bought another Sunnybrook - our third one. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody has mentioned Winnebago who brought back towables in 2012 to their line up. Just bought a new 2014 Winnebago 5th. Hard to beat the high build quality in a lighter 5th. 30 foot and weighs 7800 lbs dry. If weight is not a concern then my vote would go to Arctic Fox.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

blue_trawler
Explorer
Explorer
As one person posted, drive through a campground! Look as u drive on the freeway. I have a KZ Durango a 08 and love it! 38ft. Honestly the wife and I count More Montana's than anything else! We kept a tally a few years ago and Montana, mobile suites, and cougars!
Have only seen about 5 Durango's in 5 years??? We have put about 45k on it to this point!
I think a lot depends on if u r full timing or sometimers? We use ours at least once a month!
Can't complain with KZ!
Good luck with your choice!

Bruce

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer
There is another brand besides New Horizons that is top shelf and that is Spacecraft but you need a class 8 truck to pull it.

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Top 5of in volume sold or quality?

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe more folks aren't including New Horizon to the list....they can custom build your unit if you have the budget....and the rig to haul. They are heavy.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
grampachet wrote:
Montana is my choice

Not a bad choice, have owned Montana fifth wheels now for nearly 7 years, don't know if you could get them in the top five, but IMO top 10. From reading ,and hearing about problems with the high end rigs, I believe I would invest in a fifth with a price tag less the 100K plus that the high end are getting. I have had no costly repairs with my present Montana fifth wheel which is just over 5 years old, no repairs worth mentioning. IMO spending 50K or 100K neither is much guarantee which will turn out to be the better value. In my case after 5years that 43K looks like I made the right choice.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Our neighbor has the only Teton made that could be towed with a SRW. It is a nice unit, but not very big.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
DRV, Excel, Nu-Wa, LifeStyle, Holiday Rambler (they are making them again). All of these are more than $100K when new. And most run more than 18,000 pounds. Good quality weighs a lot. And requires a very strong truck. A 3500/350 Dually at a MINIMUM.....

I have an Excel Winslow 34IKE. It weighs 15K lbs loaded for a trip with water. I tow it with a single rear wheel drive 3500HD. I am with all specs for the truck.

The larger Excels require a DRW, but their smaller units do not.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
DRV, Excel, Nu-Wa, LifeStyle, Holiday Rambler (they are making them again). All of these are more than $100K when new. And most run more than 18,000 pounds. Good quality weighs a lot. And requires a very strong truck. A 3500/350 Dually at a MINIMUM.

In the lower and mid-range, manufactured quality is about the same. They can be OK, but all these manufacturers build a lemon once in a while.

If you buy used, look at Carriage, Teton, Titanium, New-Mar.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
High end comes at a weight price. Make sure you have the rig to pull it.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

LINDA53
Explorer
Explorer
We have a nuwa hitchhiker and I is awesome. 2010. Bought used in February great price and high end

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
You can still get some very, very nice Tetons at a decent price and they seem to last and last. VERY good quality and also VERY heavy...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet