cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wireless networks while camping

Bellpr
Explorer
Explorer
How do you solve the Wireless computer network issue for all your wireless devices (Cell Phone, Computers, Tablets, etc) when camping? Most of the Campgrounds I have been to lately have had poor to none wireless service at the campsite. The main buildings are ok. Unless you are parked near a main buildings, you are SOL. How do you acquire Internet service and share it between your devices? Maybe you are Truly off the grid and don't....
39 REPLIES 39

longrider1100
Explorer
Explorer
Our Verizon Jet Pack works for us and we understand with no signal we'll have no service.
Time to camp.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Bellpr wrote:
How do you solve the Wireless computer network issue for all your wireless devices (Cell Phone, Computers, Tablets, etc) when camping? Most of the Campgrounds I have been to lately have had poor to none wireless service at the campsite. The main buildings are ok. Unless you are parked near a main buildings, you are SOL. How do you acquire Internet service and share it between your devices? Maybe you are Truly off the grid and don't....

Visit the *Technology Forum* here.

More geeks (with info) than just the 5th wheel geeks...:C

Big_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent a few weeks out west. The "Free" Wi-Fi wasn't worth the trouble and my Virgin Mobile Aircard was useless because they had no coverage in the area of the Rockies.

Just Me & the Boss !

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab Single Axle
2015 Rockwood FW 8289ws

BIG SHOE:R

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
cedetom wrote:
Good luck finding a campground that actually has a good Wifi setup. They just won't spend the $$ money on them. I just use a hotspot from Straight Talk and buy a data card and it works well so long as you have a decent signal from a wireless carrier, such as Verizon.

X2 on our ST hotspot at a campground right now!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

cedetom
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck finding a campground that actually has a good Wifi setup. They just won't spend the $$ money on them. I just use a hotspot from Straight Talk and buy a data card and it works well so long as you have a decent signal from a wireless carrier, such as Verizon.

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bellpr wrote:

We use Verizon myfi hot spot when on the road.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
I drive into the mountains until I no longer have cell service, then about 5 miles further. The only way I can be guaranteed that my weekend will not be interrupted by work!

Man I sure wish I could get away with doing this. One disadvantage of owning your own company I guess.:(
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
One thing I've not figured out is why CGs that are renovating or being built from scratch, don't simply run hard lines to the pedestal, just as they do for cable TV. Could have a small wireless router in the pedestal itself OR, have a CAT connection to plug in to.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Good topic!! So far I've never found Wi-Fi at any campground to be of any value so if you need reliable internet use your cell phone as a hot-spot, that's going to be your best bet. Frau Blรผcher and I retired and went full-time five years ago and found internet connectivity has been the biggest hurdle on where we go, before we started I did a house for a fellow (I'm a retired finish carpenter)who was in the internet business who told me by the time we retired we would have high-speed cheap wireless internet throughout North America and "hard wired" internet would almost be a thing of the past,,,well almost! We have Comcast at out site in Florida which is very reasonable and very good and here in Canada we use our cell phone carrier's flex-plan for up to 100 gig's a month using a jet hub motem which is very good but anything but reasonable but as the original poster put it, it was either that or we were S.O.L. so It's simply a necessary expense to us!

Red Green: If at first you don't succeed,, try doing it the way your wife told you.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pipeman wrote:
We've had our ONSTAR upgraded and it has it's own hotspot. The 1st 3 months were free and that was 5 gigs a month. You can be approx. 20 feet away from the vehicle and it will work. After next month we will have to pay and there are different rates for the amount of gigs you want to pay for.

OnStar data/hot-spot system is still cellular technology (on AT&T's network - which sometimes doesn't have the coverage that Verizon's network does).
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our ONSTAR upgraded and it has it's own hotspot. The 1st 3 months were free and that was 5 gigs a month. You can be approx. 20 feet away from the vehicle and it will work. After next month we will have to pay and there are different rates for the amount of gigs you want to pay for.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Verizon jet pack. On it now at a C.G. Reliable at least 98% of the time no matter where we are.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I drive into the mountains until I no longer have cell service, then about 5 miles further. The only way I can be guaranteed that my weekend will not be interrupted by work!
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
To boost cell phone signal for use as a wireless hotspot, use this:

RV Cell Signal Booster

To boost campground WIFI signal use this:

WIFI Booster

Do these boosters really work where there is a weak incoming signal? I haven't seen a booster that really works given a weak incoming signal.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
We use a Verizon MiFi hot-spot (but we are full-time). Speed is fine and 20GB does everything we need/want except streaming movies from NetFlix or Amazon Prime. We knew we would have to give that up when we sold the house and went full time, though.

Same with us. We have used the Verizon MiFi hot spot for years. It works great at different campgrounds. And we have been camping for years.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."