cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1st time boondocking and could not get our AC to work

melloftus
Explorer
Explorer
We did our 1st time boondocking trip this last weekend with our 2008 fleetwood mallard and sadly we could not get our A/C to work. My husband is now convinced we need a new generator where as I think maybe there may be some other options. We have a 13,500 BTU A/C. and a Champion 3400 starting watts/3100 running watts. We tested the unit at home after doing the generator break in, on the 1st attempt we overloaded the generator, I did some reading and took a different approach, 1st just turning on the fan for about 15 min then switching over to the AC on the thermostat. This seemed to do the trick and I was confident we had nailed it..not so much. I am hoping you good folks could maybe give some guidance maybe some suggestions. We were able to get it to come on once this weekend and it seemed that when the compressor kicked in this was when the overload would happen.or if it didnt overload it sure dogged out..
If I started out with the fan on only sometimes when I kicked it to AC the generator would overload,fan would stop, If I could get the system to take the change over to the A/C with the thermostat set higher if I lowered the thermostat most times it overloaded the generator.
Here is where I think we may have made some mistakes..
1) we did have our battery disconnect switched to ON- do you think it was directing power to try to charge the deep cells- I was under the impression this should be set to ON even when connected to shore power/gen power. Our the deep cells were reading full(ish) hard to tell as our meter only goes in quarter settings not % but I just watched a youtube stating this may have pulled power from the generator lowering the available wattage??
2) I was running fridge on 100% propane so I don't think that would have pulled a draw
3) we were using an 30 amp extension cord direct from our TT cord- when we tried at home we were connected direct into the TT/Gen and still got a overload
4) we were at 5,000 plus feet... I know this lowers a generators output(i am guessing about 15%) .. however we are at sea level at home and still had overload issues.
I am thinking we may need to install some sort of Hard Start Capacitor..
Thoughts??
39 REPLIES 39

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a thought, if your running the generator early before turning the air on, start the Gen just a little earlier to allow your battery charger to top off your batteries so that when you start the air, the draw from the battery charger won't be as great. Plus the added benefit of having charged batteries. Did someone mention this already?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with smarty. The 30A extension cord between the generator and the shore line could be adding to your issue. Try the AC at home with and without the extension cord to see if it makes a difference. BTW, stretch out the extension cord as you had while camping. I also have one of these plugged into a convenient outlet in the RV to be able to see what is available from the shore line.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-12-4058-Power-Monitor/dp/B000BRFTH6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=rv+120v+electric+meter&qid=1564586020&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I run a 50 ft 30A rated extension cord when plugged in at home. When the house outlet provides 120V, I see 110V within the RV when it is cool out. I see 108V when its hot out. The AC pulls the voltage down to 105V when running.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
i believe your issue may be running your electricity thru an extension cord rather than a heavier 30/50 amp power cord

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Above 5000' my Champion, which is carbureted, has issues. Called Champion and they sent me a new jet that is needed for use at altitude. Installed it this year and no problems so far even at 7000'.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ebay.com/usr/applianceandair?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I had the same problem your having and have a 3500 champion inverter gen. I finally bought one of the above and now its starts fine. get the starter and the capacitor. all that soft start kit does Is what your doing by starting the fan then a few seconds it starts the compressor.
im think the onboard charger is a problem if its on they can be disabled at the breaker panel?
Jay D.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
...Make sure your refrigerator is set to gas and not AUTO

Set water heater to gas.

Turn off ECO mode on the generator.

In addition to above - Start the generator and let it stabilize BEFORE you plugin the TT cord.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Our Champion 3400 operates our 15k a/c unit without trouble.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
At sea level, your genny should have enough power to run the AC, but,

Hot and above 5000 feet? Try this:

http://help.championpowerequipment.com/article/cklrbp8nzl-operation-at-high-altitude-jet

Chum lee

I live at 5000ft and my Champion 3500 runs one 15,000btu A/C. Let it worm a minute, turn off eco, and start the a/C. Turn everything else to gas, not auto on the fridge.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
At sea level, your genny should have enough power to run the AC, but,

Hot and above 5000 feet? Try this:

http://help.championpowerequipment.com/article/cklrbp8nzl-operation-at-high-altitude-jet

Chum lee

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
We might be missing the point. OP wrote, "My husband is now convinced we need a new generator...."

Let's let him have his fun, if he wants a new generator.......

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the easy start... however, your generator shouldn't have blinked with one AC.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
melloftus wrote:
I am thinking we may need to install some sort of Hard Start Capacitor.. Thoughts??

I wouldn't waste the time or $$ installing a hard start cap which will only result in a marginal improvement vs installing a Micro-Air Easy Start soft starter kit on your A/C. Quite a few forum members now own an Easy Start and report excellent results.

X2. I just installed the easy start on my ac and could not be happier with the results. I can run the ac on eco setting with a single Honda 2200.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Converter and water heater are the primary suspects for the overload.

Put the water on propane only (along with the fridge) and turn the converter off at the breaker.

Once the air starts for a few minutes go ahead and turn on the converter. By the time the air cycles the battery should have plenty of charge allowing the converter to operate at low power.

No. I do not think you need a newer bigger generator.

BTW no hair dryer, microwave, toaster, keurig, electric skillet, waffle iron, air compressor etc when the air is running.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Leave the battery switch set to ON but the breaker for the charger turned off.

Make sure your refrigerator is set to gas and not AUTO

Set water heater to gas.

Turn off ECO mode on the generator.

As far as the fan, you're dealing with electricity. It works very fast.

Turn the AC fan on high, not auto.

Wait a few seconds, 5 seconds is more than enough and turn on the compressor.

Don't claim victory until the compressor has cycled on and off a few times.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Does your water heater run on electric? If so, make sure it's changed over to propane only.

A hard start capacitor helped my old Yamaha 2800i generator with running my 13.5BTU air conditioner.

My newer Champion 3400 barely notices when starting and running that same A/C with the hard start capacitor (SPP6E).

If that doesn't fix what's ailing it, I think you might have some kind of electrical issue.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE