cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A 3rd Insurance Issue It Might Be Helpful to Know About

joanw2947
Explorer
Explorer
With all of the talk about insurance, I thought it might be helpful to someone to share a situation with our insurance. Our homeowner's policy does not cover certain things like water damage and break ins/theft if our home is vacant for more than 30 days. I almost didn't notice this in our policy. When we are gone for more than 30 days at a time -- which we do a couple of times a year -- we pay $50 for a rider to cover this. I thought this might be something someone else might not have thought about.
15 REPLIES 15

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very interesting - I think I'll be calling our agent in the morning!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
My sisters and I also came across this issue with my mom's house after she passed. Around that time, an arsonist was setting fires to unoccupied houses. We had not moved out all of her furniture and belongings so we rented just a bedroom and use of bath/kitchen for a year. They guy was in process of planning marriage and needed an inexpensive place for short time so it worked out for all involved. Our agent (State Farm) had to get pictures, copy of lease, etc. showing house was occupied for a policy as rental property.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
DD's FIL is a retired insurance adjuster. I asked him how often I should check a friend's house while they winter in Florida. He replied "Once a week."
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for another Heads Up.

I have a good agent and I would check with him if I ever did this to see what my policy states.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Being one who makes a living in the insurance world, unoccupied dwellings is a big problem you want to make sure is handled correctly. My best advice since there are many companies and policies is to read the one you have and then talk to your agent or company.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance requires that the house be checked at a minimum once every three days if no one is home. These companies will come up with all kinds of excuses to get out of paying a claim.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a friend that is away from home for long periods. They have a cleaning persons come once a week gathers mail and sends to them. During the winter ( northern house) has a device in the front window that will light a red light if inside temp goes below 40 degrees, neck les call him and he calls HVAC service. Works well for them.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, triple sounds about right. Cheap compared to an undesirable setting up a meth lab in it

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
winnietrey wrote:
ScottG wrote:
So it's just the stuff inside that isn't covered?
I have a house for sale that's sitting completely empty..
\

In the case of my parents house, after they passed the house was vacant for some months until it sold. You can get insurance for a vacant house, but it is very pricey. Which is what we did. Were worried it would get broken into and trashed.. Money well spent in my opinion. Can't really remember, but think if it was vacant for so long, they would not cover anything ( exclusion in the policy, if memory serves) . Probably worth a call on your part.

Thanks. I have the same exact scenario and was told by someone that they had to pay triple the price to insure it.

High risk due to it being empty/unoccupied therefore high cost.

When we sold our home it was completely empty and we lived in 5vr parked next to house.
Still had a rider on coverage until escrow closed/keys handed over because of exclusion in our normal policy.
Fortunately only for 1 month......cost $300 but cheaper than IF home had been vandalized etc. That would have been $$$ out of our pocket
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
winnietrey wrote:
ScottG wrote:
\

In the case of my parents house, after they passed the house was vacant for some months until it sold. You can get insurance for a vacant house, but it is very pricey. Which is what we did. Were worried it would get broken into and trashed.. Money well spent in my opinion. Can't really remember, but think if it was vacant for so long, they would not cover anything ( exclusion in the policy, if memory serves) . Probably worth a call on your part.

Thanks. I have the same exact scenario and was told by someone that they had to pay triple the price to insure it.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
\

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I was not aware of that issue. Unfortunately I will not be going anywhere for over 30 days. 😞

Thanks for the info.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes insurance companies do not like un occupied homes. Great point to make and probably most people are not aware of.