cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best camping memories

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
On the flip side of the post about camping altercations, what are some of your most fond memories from camping?

There are too many to count really, but here are a few:
My oldest son learned how to climb trees at a local campground. Spent nearly the entire weekend in that tree. It has since been named, "the climbing tree."
My youngest son climbing up a hill of a civil war fort in Kentucky acting like he was the cavalry. Hugest grin on his face. He wants to join the Marines.
My daughter at 18 months old on her first camping trip. She was fully clothed and rolling around in the shallow water at Tawas Point.

Prior to kids, we were tent campers and spent our time in rather rowdy "party" camping areas. I will never forget sitting outside in the morning and having a twenty something girl walk past our site and started talking to a friend she met on the way. We overheard her say to her friend, "Why did you let me get so drunk last night? I woke up naked in some guy's tent!" Yep, entertaining for sure. :B
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog
27 REPLIES 27

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see ...............

Sixteen years part time RV'ing (and being retired that means maybe 2-3 months out of every year average), guessing over 100,000 miles, nearly all of it in the 11 western states and two western provinces - best memories?

We have been blessed and I could write a book; maybe I will someday when I get a round tuit. Along with the book on my life.

Nah, probably won't happen for either.

But we have kept a diary of our travels.

Yes,we have been so blessed.

Lauren
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have never had a bad camping trip ever in over 15 yrs. literally.
we always have fun, never had problems (that were huge), always nice people and wonderful destinations. (I lived good so far!! :))

weirdest was the huge storm we were in at cheasepeake. 70 mph winds. camper rocking. trees coming down. people losing awnings. WOOF! then in that same cg, like 2 days later a camper fire. killed the guys dog but he got out with some minor burns/problems. Our only trip where big things happened.
While it wasn't the fondest memory, it was a biggie for us, since it was memorable big time ๐Ÿ™‚ all our trips are thru the roof fun!

we beach trip alot. so much happening like the baby turtles hatching. we were on nest watch with others. baby turtles everywhere heading for the water. So cool!

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been at it as long as many of you, but we've seen a lot in our five years. I've shown my kids so much that I never got to see, it must be daunting from their perspective.

Of all the things we've seen and all the places we've been so far, the first thing that popped into my head was the very first trip, when we were all trying to figure out this camping thing. You know the excitement of just knowing you had no clue what you're doing? The tension of backing it in the first time and hoping you get it set up right. After we finally got settled in at Caledonia State Park, PA, I looked out kitchen window to see my two kids, ages 8 and 10, engaging this little sparrow under the awning. It was obvious the bird had gotten way too used to humans and had lost all fear, as it hopped back and forth between the two kids who were clammering about who's turn it was to feed it crackers. They were actually petting it! Totally enthralled that they could so easily get that close to a wild animal.

I knew then that the choice to spend the money and time would not be wasted, and I was right 1000 fold since. That little bird visited us many times over that long weekend and I'll bet they still remember it. Just too many good times to list. No regrets! Even when we squabble.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

bodyshop_bob
Explorer
Explorer
Great post and great stories. One of our first trips was to a GA state park called Moccasin Creek. Little park, only 30 some odd acres but it sits right on a beautiful lake. Our kids were young right at 9 and 10, I guess. First night was a little hairy due to some thunderstorms but we managed through. Second night after a day filled with fishing, and having fun we walked down to the little dock. Late at night, no lights and the starry heavens above; the stars were so bright and night so dark you could see that wispy thin cloud of stars. My kids were just blown away by the beauty and vastness. Sweet moment and sweeter memory.
Bob & Carla
Josh & Emily
mostly Lab mix Eryn
Chase is waiting for us at the Bridge
2007 Chevrolet 2500 D/A
2015 Jayco 339 FLQS

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one from last fall.

So Friday September 28th Iโ€™m out camping at my favorite park for what will probably be the last time this year. After dark I started a fire and I decided I would put the dog in the pickup and go for a walk down the gravel road to the back of the park. Iโ€™ve done this hundreds, if not thousands, of times. However,,, I forget that at this time of the year there are not many people camping. There were about 5 campers in the front of the park in the RV section and one brave family in the back in a tent. It was cloudy that night and under the trees going to the back of the park it was quite dark. I had with me one of my little $2.50 flashlights but it was flickering on and off and I had to keep bumping it against the palm of my hand to keep it going. As I walked along I saw a raccoon. No big deal, I see him at the park all the time I named him Ricky. I said โ€œHi Rickyโ€™ and he scurried away. A short time later I saw another raccoon. I said โ€œHi Ricky #2โ€ and he got out of my way. Then there was Ricky #3, Ricky #4. At Ricky #5 I got to thinking how Iโ€™m out here all alone with a flashlight that barely worked and there was nobody around. I decided to head back. On the way back I saw Ricky #6, Ricky #7, and so on. Around Ricky #12 or so I started to walk faster. There is a spot where there is a culvert under the road to let water into the lake from a slough. The road gets narrow at this part. As I got there Ricky #15 was trapped in the road with me and jumped into the lake. I hadnโ€™t seen him there and that startled me. Already a little apprehensive my imagination now took completely over. I suddenly felt like there were 15 vicious man eating raccoons chasing me. I started to run. As I made the turn where the road goes back into the RV section my but was moving at the speed of an Olympic track star. I skidded into my camping spot, dove into the camper, and slammed the door. After I calmed down I realized how silly I was being and went back out to the fire and cooked some hamburgers. But, I will be a little more careful from now on when I walk down that road to the back of the park.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Lincoln4
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, so many. As a 10 (or so) year old watching an ant colony battle at Alta Lake State Park (Washington). Watching my young sons catch salamanders at Lake Sylvia State Park (also Washington). Good times, cant' wait for grandchildren!
Tom & Jana fulltiming in the driveway. Hitting the road June 1.
Plus Roswald and Piper, The Wonder Chugs!
2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
Looking for a new Toad...

My blog

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great camping memories...DD age 5, dressed in her dads t-shirt because she went through every piece of clothing she had while playing near a creek...DS age 12 begging to sleep in the truckbed instead of the tent...

I think my fondest memory is of my youngest son, Christian. He is severelr mentally handicapped, with the mind of a 1 yr old . He can walk but had balance issues. One day he watched as the other kids climbed a small hill and rolled down. Christian made an attempt to climb it too, but he fell on his butt. He got back up and tried again. And again. And again. For hours. I tried to give him a hand but he would have none of it. He worked on that hill all afternoon. And then he spied a tree with low branches nearby. He somehow figured it out and used the tree branches to haul himself up to the top. He couldn't figure out how to get down and roll so he just ran full tilt down the hill. The look on his face! For the rest of our stay all he wanted to do was climb that hill. He fell a lot but he kept getting up again, no crying.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Camping with our site along the lake shore very rare in the Midwest/.
Just a short walk to the bench next to the water. Warm evening. Perfect!

X2
This was the FIRST thing on my bucket list when I went full time.
Ahh, just looking at the picture again 6 years later still brings back fond memories.

Right ON the breakfront of Lake Michigan!

As serene as that pic looks the next day the waves were crashing over the breakfront and pounding the RV!
But THAT IS what makes for camping memories. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
Everyone I ever took is the "best"

Love your answer! It is what you make it to be.

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
True story! About 5 years ago we were camping at a San Diego County Campground. We scored a nice space that looked out into a valley where CalTrans was about to run a brand new 8 lane freeway right straight thru the park.

Construction was in the eary stages, and those big, tall spidery looking high voltage towers that ran down the beautiful valley were being removed by Edison.

After a few days of peace and quiet, we were startled one night around 2 am by a car racing thru the park with Sheriffs cars chasing it...with GUNFIRE! After the bad guys were subdued, things got back to normal and we finally slept!

But the next day we were were all lounging around the Jayco eating BBQed burgers, when we heard a siren sound from the valley. Then another siren and again once more.

Suddenly there was a huge roar, and a series of explosions! We watched the power towers fall over all the way down the valley! We and the other campers around us were showered with dirt and debris! Holy War Zone Batman!

Turned out the company that was paid to remove the huge concrete bases of the 70' power towers neglected to inform us or the Camp Ranger of the demolition!

We packed up and left that day, which was 3 days early and got a full refund.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone I ever took is the "best"
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Like others we have so many. We took a holiday one year that started out as 2 weeks but turned into 6. We travelled from southern Ontario to Port Hardy. BC.
Highlights on that trip.....

..... Spending the night on the edge of a lake in a tent during the most magnificent lightening and thunderstorm ever...no rain, northern Ontario
.....Travelling north of Flin Flon Manitoba and I just had to go down a trail I saw. It was not travelled and at the end we found 2 crosses with fire helmets on them. The names of a father and son were etched in the crosses.
.....Finding a very old, partially fallen Anglican church, covered with ivy. We climbed in through a window. The floors were mostly gone. On the alter there still was a cross, bible and communion cups like they had been just used. In Saskatchewan.
.....Coming back to our campground after leaving it with shorts and flip flops only to find 6" of snow. Alberta rockies.
.....Buying handmade gold wedding bands, designed by a local native. Finding a priest to bless them. Then renewing our vows in the basement apt of his church with me leaning on the kitchen sink full of dirty dishes. It was our 10th anniversary. Vancouver Island BC.
.....Crying my eyes out as we were getting close to the ocean. I could smell the salt water. We were listening to the Eagles Paradise. I can smell salt water from quite a distance and get homesick for the North Sea.
.....Getting photo,s of a white wolf.
.....Having a bald eagle land about 8' in front of my hubby, sitting by the lake and getting a picture of them staring at each other.

This holiday was a spur of the moment, we decided the night before. We left with no agenda. We literally said do we go down this road , right or left. Some days we travelled far others a couple of hours.
Everyone should do this at least once in their lives.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter will KILL me if she finds out but...

Up in Bar Harbor Maine, long long day, buddy's TV broke down so I brought his pop up up, back for mine, had to find him at garage, lots and lots of rain, dumped kids at campground and on and on.

Finally got to the site to set up, unloading the Vehicle and placing things on the ground on the edge of the road, placed the lil tikes potty on the ground and then I hear all the campers around us cheering. I look down and there is my daughter sitting on the toilet using it. It was so funny, she is now 22 and would kill me if she knew I was telling the story here but it was a great camping memory.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Tent camping at Mt Lassen National Park back in the summer of 1967 is one of my favorite memories. Our oldest son was two at the time. He got out of the car, grabbed two handfuls of that red dirt, threw it up in the air and walked under it. Last time he was clean for the entire week was when he stepped out of the car.

Now he and both of our other kids have families of their own. All are campers. The dirty little boy now has a granddaughter who does NOT walk under two handfulls of falling dirt.