cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas stations

BrianAmaral
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ,I have never had to pull into a gas station while hooked up to my camper, and I will have to next month going on a long journey. it may sound stupid but is there a special way to pick a spot or a pump\with out taking out the place .lol
34 REPLIES 34

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Another habit I've gotten into is to plan fill ups either before or after cities. If supply is even questionable I fill up before hitting town. I find the more rural the station the more time you will have to pick and choose your spot and not have to get in a rush to "grab a pump"

BrianAmaral
Explorer
Explorer
thank's everyone you helped a lot .

BrianAmaral
Explorer
Explorer
thank's everyone you helped a lot .

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
We use truck stops, much easier to use then trying to find a gas station where you can get into and out.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Dadio24 wrote:
Plan on how to exit before you ever enter.

Repeat this to yourself over and over.....:W...Dennis

X2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dadio24 wrote:

Repeat this to yourself over and over.....:W...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Gas Buddy app and then look from above with Google maps to find stations with reasonably priced fuel and ease of access. We start planning the next fuel stop as soon as we have fueled and are back on the road.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
BrianAmaral wrote:
Hi ,I have never had to pull into a gas station while hooked up to my camper, and I will have to next month going on a long journey. it may sound stupid but is there a special way to pick a spot or a pump\with out taking out the place .lol

Most gas stations will be able to fit your RV with no problem. Remember that they all have to have room for the tractor trailer that brings their gas.

To me the important thing I look for is exit angles. I have a Dodge 4x4 crew cab 2500 with a 30 foot trailer. My fuel filler is on the drivers side. I look at the distance between the pumps and the parking in front of the C-store. But I have been in some very tight ones and still have gotten out easily.

The only gas stations I avoid are ones that are packed. (You might get trapped for a few minutes)

I avoid the truck stops like the plague for their long lines of people cashing checks, getting showers, prepaying, weighing their trucks, buying food etc. To me they just are too much hassle.

This is one of those things that seem like a big deal at first but become second nature quickly. Don't sweat it.

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on the RV you have. For us, we go to truck stops. Otherwise, we need to worry about the height of the roof over the pumps, the ramps going in and out, and do we have room to pull in and pull out. There are some pumps that you can get into, but there is a building right in front of the pumps that make it hard to get out especially when there are a bunch of people parked out front.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the trailer I liked to fuel first thing in the morning when the station was less crowded. Newer suburban stations tend to be more friendly than urban core stations built decades ago. Budget stations with high volume and lots of activity can be a hassle-especially with older facilities. If you do disconnect for any reason, fuel then. Scope your path through station before entering. Make a note of good stations to use in the future.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with RoyB. As a back up, carry a portable tank so you can park and walk to the pump if you can't pull up to it.

Also, if you have a diesel you can look at getting a replacement fuel tank with larger capacity so you can drive farther without having to fill up. I replaced my 28 gallon tank with a 50 gallon tank from Transfer Flow. Now, I can drive 450-500 miles with the fifth wheel in tow before I have to fill up. This allows me to put in 350-400 miles between campsites, drop the trailer and go fill up without having anything in tow.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
FIRST of all and IMHO more importantly is look at the "entrance driveway" BEFORE you pull in to see how steep it is.

I was shocked to find out how many have too steep an incline to even get in without dragging the hitch or bottom of a Class A or C.

First glance is if there are already a lot grooves in the pavement pass and find another station.

I know only get gas where there is also a truck stop. I know I can always enter there on a flat driveway and drive around to the gas pumps.

The pumps? Well you will acquire a new way of getting gas and that's always looking 'ahead' of just the pumps to make sure you have an exit way from the pumps to get out towing.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
If your running diesel look for a truck stop. Many rural stations around here have one or two deisel pumps behind the station as well. If running gas try to get an outside pump closest to the road for easy exit. If you have to take up several pumps, you just have to fuel up and get out of the way. At one small station the back of my fifth wheel was still is the road when I filled up, no choice, only place to get diesel.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian