cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License to drive motor homes over 26,000 lbs.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
A guy I know said he heard people were being pulled over on I-78 near Hamburg,Pa and cited for not having a license to drive a motorhome over 26,000 lbs.He looked online and found nothing so he called his state rep and he eventually got a call from someone at PennDOT that yes, you need a license and he arranged to take his test. Did anyone else hear of this?
41 REPLIES 41

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked up the MD requirements. I might have to completely rethink what type of RV we will get. Have been looking at a Jayco Seneca but without getting a Class A license (to pull a toad), my wife, daughter, and son-in-law won't be able to drive. I will always be in the unit but I guess my experience doesn't help.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
fpresto wrote:

In Maryland it is called a Class B. Here it is required for School Bus drivers and I believe Fire Truck drivers. Your state may be different but if not then you might check with one of them if you know any.

Thank you for your service. Also from MD. I have a Class A but my wife does not. She is not allowed on her MD license to operate an RV >28k #?
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
For me it is finding an A/B holder who'd like to accompany me to DMV for laughs. Asked around our home base CG (DPs) and no one has an A/B and never heard of it.

In Maryland it is called a Class B. Here it is required for School Bus drivers and I believe Fire Truck drivers. Your state may be different but if not then you might check with one of them if you know any.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:
Here's a state-by-state run-down:

Link

Rob

It's best to go to your own state's website and check with them. The information shown for Illinois on the link above was not correct.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Just found this requirement last week (NC) and have participated in several threads on it. Have to do the written test (which is pretty much CDL) and that gets a learners permit. Then have to have an A/B permit holder while you "learn" and when you go to take the driving test.

Consensus from folks that had done it is that is not a huge deal, just aggravating. For me it is finding an A/B holder who'd like to accompany me to DMV for laughs. Asked around our home base CG (DPs) and no one has an A/B and never heard of it.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is about RV motor homes but I remember when Oregon wanted volunteer firemen to get CDL's to drive firetrucks. that got lost in a hurry. too many firemen said they would quit fighting fires

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a state-by-state run-down:

Link

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
In California the restriction for class A's is length, 40+ you need a Class B, 40 ft or less the same license as a car Class C.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
And as always is the case with government, when the weight limit gave them a reason to single you out, the cost of the license went from $30.50 for four years, to $94.50 for four years.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on your state of residence. In TN, we don't have to have a special license, and the other 49 states have to honor that. So, a PA resident can get a ticket for that in PA, but I can't. Or, at least I will beat it in court.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like he was right. This is from the Penn DOT site:

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Information/License-Types/Pages/default.aspx
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Some state do require Non Commercial CDL type licences. Sounds like PA does for residents. Here in Michigan they don't, and I wouldn't think twice about driving through PA or any other state that required them.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad