cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License to drive motor homes over 26,000 lbs.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
A guy I know said he heard people were being pulled over on I-78 near Hamburg,Pa and cited for not having a license to drive a motorhome over 26,000 lbs.He looked online and found nothing so he called his state rep and he eventually got a call from someone at PennDOT that yes, you need a license and he arranged to take his test. Did anyone else hear of this?
41 REPLIES 41

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Cross21114, What makes it worse is that when the change in the requirements was put into effect the RV dealers were complaining that it would severely hurt their business. Their workaround is to not mention it to the customers.
That said I can see why the requirements are put in place. Without something like that a 16 year old who had never driven anything bigger than a VW could pass his/her drivers test for a class C, walk out of the MVA office and climb into his daddies 40ft diesel pusher and legally head down the road. With the requirement for a class B they at least demonstrate a minimal ability before they are turned loose on the public. I upgraded to a B. It is not that hard.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
cruiseruser wrote:
No real need to change your domicile although we all know there are some perks if you would.

Now Maryland is different. Maryland you must take a test before you get your permit. And unfortunately it's based on the CDL testing booklet. Be well prepared by reading thru the MD CDL booklet. Again, once you receive your permit, you must have someone that has an equal or higher class of license to accompany you in order to "legally" drive your vehicle. That person must accompany you to the exam site as well. In Maryland you must complete a full pretrip, backing maneuvers and road test in order to pass your test. It's not hard. Just requires practice and some study time.

It can be done!

I just returned from the MD MVA. MD added rvs to Class A & B license regs 5 years ago. Not apparent way around it. Bet there are a lot fo MD licensed drivers ignoring the law. I have Class A, my wife does not. For her to spell me at the wheel will require the written test, then a learners permit good for either 90 or 180 days (they didn't know for sure). Completely out of the CDL testing booklet.
Further problem is that to tow anything, you need a Class A. We would only be pulling a toad. You can't back them up so how do you take the drivers test? They suggested renting a rig. What BS.
We were going to buy a diesel Class C GVW of 28k and GCVW of 33k. If I ever take friends on trips, they can't help drive.
Now we have to reconsider changing the type of rv we were going to get. I told them at the MVA they just screwed up my retirement and gave me another reason to leave the state of Maryland.
Sorry for the rant. Wouldn't have even known about this if had not seen this thread.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
IIRC, all vehicles over 40' are restricted from certain roads. This is basically a blanket statement and also IIRC, there is a list of exceptions, but there are some areas that totally prohibit over 26K or 40'. Highway 2 from the 14 to the 210, NO exceptions. There are of course some local restrictions, like Lombard Street in Frisco.

While this is undoubtedly true, it has no bearing on what driver's license is required to drive a given RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Depends on your state of residence. In TN, we don't have to have a special license, and the other 49 states have to honor that. So, a PA resident can get a ticket for that in PA, but I can't. Or, at least I will beat it in court.

We don't need a special license in WA either, and the other 49 states have to honor that also. Although CA may be the exception if over 40 feet.

IIRC, all vehicles over 40' are restricted from certain roads. This is basically a blanket statement and also IIRC, there is a list of exceptions, but there are some areas that totally prohibit over 26K or 40'. Highway 2 from the 14 to the 210, NO exceptions. There are of course some local restrictions, like Lombard Street in Frisco.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
And by the way... just feel fortunate not to live in Washington DC. There you MUST take a full blown CDL test in order to drive your personal RV over 26,001 pounds single or combo.

That's ridiculous!!!!!

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
No real need to change your domicile although we all know there are some perks if you would.

Anyway, the PA examination is fairly easy. You will have to complete a pre trip inspection before you go onto the actual road trip. Because of the size of the rigs, the road trip is the actual course that they take the CDL drivers on. So don't worry about small roads. Practice the basics and mind your P's and Q's. Don't let the rolling stop screw you up!

Now Maryland is different. Maryland you must take a test before you get your permit. And unfortunately it's based on the CDL testing booklet. Be well prepared by reading thru the MD CDL booklet. Again, once you receive your permit, you must have someone that has an equal or higher class of license to accompany you in order to "legally" drive your vehicle. That person must accompany you to the exam site as well. In Maryland you must complete a full pretrip, backing maneuvers and road test in order to pass your test. It's not hard. Just requires practice and some study time.

It can be done!

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

My post was referencing cross21114 28K figure. I'm not sure where 28K comes from? I always thought 26K was the weight to be concerned with.

Sorry, that was my screwup. I knew it was 26k but typed 28k.

Going to DMV today to see if my wife and kids can get a learners permit like PA referred above. Hope they don't have to complete the inspection part first. Have an appointment next Friday to look at a Super C. Have to rethink if it's impossible to drive without a Class A (planning to tow a 7,000# car.)
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
I checked out the requirements from PA DMV and what cruiseruser noted above is what I found as well. So, if I decided to change from our Class C to a bigger Class A (>26K), I would seriously consider changing my domicile.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fpresto wrote:
Lantley, She will need a new license. Her class C allows up to 26,001 lbs. Over that she needs a Class B or a Class A like you have. link

My post was referencing cross21114 28K figure. I'm not sure where 28K comes from? I always thought 26K was the weight to be concerned with.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Depends on your state of residence. In TN, we don't have to have a special license, and the other 49 states have to honor that. So, a PA resident can get a ticket for that in PA, but I can't. Or, at least I will beat it in court.

We don't need a special license in WA either, and the other 49 states have to honor that also. Although CA may be the exception if over 40 feet.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

cruiseruser
Explorer
Explorer
Get online and download a DL-180 Non Commercial Drivers License Application. That needs to be taken to your local PA DMV office with $5.00 in check or money order only. They will give you in return a Non Commercial Class B license permit. You can only legally operate that vehicle when another driver is in the passenger seat that holds an equal or higher class of license than what you have. Practice your skills with that driver. Call PA DMV or go online and schedule a Non Commercial Class B exam and then have that driver accompany you to the nearest DMV that examines for your type of license. I believe that may be the Shillington DMV on East Lancaster Avenue.
A Non Commercial Class B is needed in PA when your coach is GVWR at 26001 pounds or higher. A Non Commercial Class A is needed when your combined GVWR of your tow vehicle and fiver or tow along totals 26,001 pounds or more.
Wishing you many safe and happy travels.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley, She will need a new license. Her class C allows up to 26,001 lbs. Over that she needs a Class B or a Class A like you have. link
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
cross21114 wrote:
fpresto wrote:

In Maryland it is called a Class B. Here it is required for School Bus drivers and I believe Fire Truck drivers. Your state may be different but if not then you might check with one of them if you know any.

Thank you for your service. Also from MD. I have a Class A but my wife does not. She is not allowed on her MD license to operate an RV >28k #?

>26K
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
About 4 years ago Nevada also made it a requirement to have a non commercial type CDL license to operate a motorhome over 26000 lbs.

I don't need one for just my motorhome but when I hookup my stacker trailer than I am over the weight by 400 lbs, but so far I have not got the new license.

Is the license requirement for the GVWR of the motorhome, or the COMBINED weight of the motorhome and towed load?
Such laws are usually very specific, as in the trailer brake laws here in Montana. If the trailer has a GVWR of 3000 lbs. or over, brakes are required on all wheels, even if the actual empty trailer weight in only 1500 lbs. A pickup is registered for the Gross Weight of the truck and load, regardless of the weight of any trailer.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
About 4 years ago Nevada also made it a requirement to have a non commercial type CDL license to operate a motorhome over 26000 lbs.

I don't need one for just my motorhome but when I hookup my stacker trailer than I am over the weight by 400 lbs, but so far I have not got the new license.