cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights on?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
A serious question, with no judgements, to people who leave their porch or other outside lights on all night while camping: why do you? This past weekend, and many other times I've noticed folks who do this. Is it safety? Keep critters away? Just forget? Something else?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
127 REPLIES 127

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

I suppose that was meant to be humorous, but, actually, I totally agree!
That is why I refuse to have so-called "security lights". I WANT the trespassers to stumble around in the dark!
As for exterior RV lights, I have always felt that it was one of two things:
1. The RV owner is a city person, and has never been where the only light is starlight. They are afraid of the dark.
2. Somebody forgot to turn the light off.
My only thought is; "That poor soul, so fearful or forgetful!"
Either way, it must be a terrible thing to live with.

So where is it that you camp that security is such an issue and you're afraid of trespassers?

And "afraid of the dark", "That poor soul, so fearful"? Why so judgmental? Seriously? I've camped in the deep woods of Canada. You want dark? That's REALLY dark. So no, we are NOT afraid of the dark.

All that said, we leave a ten light string on all night. 10 little 1 watt Christmas tree bulbs each in their own fixture. It throws off less light than an LED string. Why? Because we like a little light around the site at night. And the main reason it's on all night is that it's on a light sensor. I don't have to think about turning them on or off. And that's all it is. You camp your way, I camp my way.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a motion sensor, but needs to be readjusted. It is a bit too senstivefor a close area. So if you are out wandering around in the dark, mine is the light that comes on.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
. . .I always appreciate it when camper folks leave their lights off; allows better stargazing when it is dark. . .We carry a very small hand held LED flashlight when it is necessary to walk on a dark night. . .

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
On my camper when the porch light is on so too is a light by my waste tank release valves. Low to the ground and lights up the underneath of the camper.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My patio lights is on a motion detector both front and back and timer. I can also bring it ON with a key fob which has about a 40-50 foot range. Great for walking to the bath room after dark. I always adjust the sensitivity of the motion detector using black tape if we are real close to folks walking up and down the road in front of us. You have to be walking up to the trailer to turn on the patio lights.

We pretty much go dark after 10PM each night. I'm pretty sure folks can hear my TV going sometimes with our fabric tent end and wall panels...

We try hard to blend-in with all the surrounding folks...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikensallyt wrote:
Why the gripe? OMG! If the light is bothering you, close your shades.
I didn't see a gripe, just a simple question.:R
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
Anmacc2 wrote:
I'm scared of the dark!!!! Duhhhhh! Seriously, leaving the porch light on lets just enough ambient light through the door window that the inside of the camper is illuminated. A night light is too bright.

Between the light for the fridge control, the pump light and the light from the radio display the inside of our fifth wheel is illuminated quite a bit. Plus the skylight when the moon is full or we are at a commercial campground with lights on poles.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
Why the gripe? OMG! If the light is bothering you, close your shades.
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

Monster9903
Explorer
Explorer
Only when we forget.
Charlie & Robin
Daughter Sam and Son Nate
2000 Chevy Silverado
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X18D

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
It allows for would be burglars to see what they are doing. :B

I suppose that was meant to be humorous, but, actually, I totally agree!
That is why I refuse to have so-called "security lights". I WANT the trespassers to stumble around in the dark!
As for exterior RV lights, I have always felt that it was one of two things:
1. The RV owner is a city person, and has never been where the only light is starlight. They are afraid of the dark.
2. Somebody forgot to turn the light off.
My only thought is; "That poor soul, so fearful or forgetful!"
Either way, it must be a terrible thing to live with.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a LED rope light that I hang on the roller, it is on all the time. Gives a warm glow, and is high enough that the awning flap keeps it from going too far.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine on at night. The distance of the light from that small bulb is so insignificant I don't see it bothering anyone.

Albeit scare lights on the fivers should be banned after dark. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only light left on that bugs me is the bright white scare light!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Another forgot here. I recall once stopping at rest area to eat lunch after an early morning campground departure and noticed it was still on ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only time we leave ours on is if we will be out and are coming back after dark, or if we have company, and thenit goes off after they leave.

I wish other campers would be considerate of their neighbors.
I can't tell you how many times we have had a bright light shining in our bedroom window, (even with the blinds down) from some inconsiderate camper

Jack L
Jack & Nanci