cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights on?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
A serious question, with no judgements, to people who leave their porch or other outside lights on all night while camping: why do you? This past weekend, and many other times I've noticed folks who do this. Is it safety? Keep critters away? Just forget? Something else?
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
127 REPLIES 127

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We forgot to turn the outside light off just often enough that I added a red LED above the switch as a reminder that it's on.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone suggest putting a flasher into the 7 pin umbilical so that your marker lights are on - but only half the time?
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seriously, the ones I don't get are the ones that look to have had there RV for some time but never remember which switch is which! So they keep flipping hem till the light hey want comes on and then leave everything else on!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It makes it easier for me to rummage through thier beer cooler!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

manualman
Explorer
Explorer
mikensallyt wrote:
Why the gripe? OMG! If the light is bothering you, close your shades.

I wonder if he'd feel the same about some nice, loud death metal.
If it's bothering you, just put your ear plugs in, dude!

Or we could all just be considerate. Wonder if his thinking changes when his neighbor is a tent or popup camper...

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
I do not get it. I much prefer a bit of orange light from the campfire. And nothing beats binoculars looking at the night sky.

But I own a hybrid with canvas sleeping beds, like sleeping with the canvas windows open and no light shining in my eyes.

So I seek out areas with no power and hopefully no light shows from other campers.

Occasionally I end up with someone nearby with a job site generator, lights on, air on......sheeeesh.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom, I couldn't agree more. If they want to leave their outside lights on all night, then sit outside all night. I wouldn't object. If they sit inside, turn those lights on.
I drive miles to enjoy the serenity of the woods and the stars at night.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
I leave mine on because it generates a year long 11 page thread.

LOL!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I leave mine on because it generates a year long 11 page thread.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the same campground all winter and there were 6-8 campers that left their light on every single night. Some even had an elaborate set up shining a spot light instead of the porch light. Then others had lights on a pole at the front of their unit instead of the porch light. None of these people forgot. They were trying to make street lighting in the absence of streetlights. Wish they wouldn't - the quiet, country dark is something to be enjoyed.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only use the porch when taking the dogs out after 10:00 pm, we have lights under the awing, that are on a timer that shut off at 10:00pm.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I turn mine off because I don't want a 11 page thread on RV.net of people squawking about me leaving it on - being too afraid to just tell me it bothers them.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read all 11 pages but, for me it is just because I forgot to shut it off.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd just add on to this one. I've seen people leave their scare lights on, but this is what I saw this morning (it is a halogen shop light):

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
The light is a pretty dim bulb.
Sometimes we just forget because it is not obvious that it is on.