cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New coffee maker

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Weve been using an old style percolator on the stove top for years in the camper. I was afraid my drip unit would be too hard on the batteries. But I've slowed down my former 2 pot habit to what the pot says is about 6 cups a morning. My old drip unit used 120 VAC at 1100 watts when brewing and stayed high on the power draw for much of the 2 hours it was on before auto shutoff. I just bought a little Mr Coffee 5 cup unit and have tried it for this mornings coffee with the kill-O-watt meter on.
Brewing a 5 cup pot, and then running the warmer for the one hour period the timer gives it used .1 kwhr. So apparently I should be able to use this off an inverter in the camper for only about 1.1 Amp hr off the batteries.
The max draw when brewing is about 660 watts, and after about a 4 minute brewing cycle it cuts out and starts cycling about 5 minutes off and 5 seconds on for an hour.

It will be great to not run the stove every morning in the summer adding more heat to the camper.
43 REPLIES 43

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised so few people are recommending a French Press coffee maker. Simple, uses no electricity, makes great coffee.

We use a big stainless steel percolator when we will be having a lot of coffee. When we know it is just going to be a few coffee mugs, then we use the french press.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got a French Press. now I had one (Off brand) years ago and frankly did not care for it (too messy) but I got a good one from Boxed.com (the original french press it says upon it) makes around 22 oz of coffee.. GOOD COFFEE. used the same fresh ground I use in my auto drip. Same amount.. Dumped it in. Dumped in water "on the boil" (you can heat using any heat source. Wood fire, Propane. Coleman white gas stove, ELectric (i used electric) stir with a "rubber" spoon (Silicon the instructions say "plastic" but I have nice soft silicon) close it up wait 4 minutes gently press, pour and clean it out. that's the part I don't like about it. but it was very good coffee.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously thinking about one of those small Keurigs, but in the meantime we're happy using these.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone is different. I'm not a coffee drinker. I kinda wish I was because I'm sure it's better for me then the can of Mt.Dew that I MUST have in the morning. I also like the smell of coffee. It gives me a stomach ache for some reason through.

I do keep a small percolator in the camper for company. If they don't like it I tell them to drive to town and buy a cup of coffee from somewhere.

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to like small and light stuff when camping. Maybe it comes from my backpacking and motorcycle travel/camping background. We began using the Aeropress for camping and it makes a great cup of coffee. But you need to heat the water in something else, so you need a teapot or regular pot. We bought one of these. It is a little slow, you have to pour water in for each cup, but it is cheap. No problem so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NADG4FR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We use Bunn MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Home Coffee Brewer at home most of the time. It will take a Keurig pod, regular ground coffee and even has a setting and accessory for tea bags. It has replaced our Keurig, our 8 cup coffee maker and our electric teapot. Unfortunately, they do not seem to be available currently. If you can find one, I would recommend it.
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

jfak7670
Explorer
Explorer
As my wife says-morning is for coffee and contemplation. We use AICOOK Espresso and Coffee Machine. It's energy efficient, compact and easy to clean. We like it a lot. There is nothing like a cup of fresh-brewed coffee in the morning. It gives us energy for the whole day.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
I'm partial to the old Mellita pour through coffee maker. Boil water, pour it through a cone filter filled with coffee, done. Coffee never last long enough camping to get cold anyway.

This is also my method. No electric power needed. In addition my mellita filter has a stem which fits into my Stanley thermos. I discovered that since the coffee is only minimally exposed to air, it tastes fresh many hours later.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wif bought another Keurig with glass whatchamacallit and the single do-hikie for just one cup.Gonna have to buy a new larger coach. Sometimes you get a decent cup an sometimes you just trow it out with single serve or flood the counter when you hit the wrong button. A porcelin perculator gives the best coffee I think. Convenience before taste! Shes modernized.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
3X on the Mellita Pour Through. We are not big coffee drinkers but do enjoy our cup of "JOE" in the morning. Makes a good cup, quick, simple and takes up very little storage room.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two issues with Keurig brewers
On the larger ones there is no way to completly empty them of water so if you use part time the water stagnates. This is not, as near as I can tell, an issue with the K-10 or the MINI I believe they empty every use.

Mountains of spent coffee pods. (Waste)

I use sunbeam it is "4 cup" (Really 5) automatic drip. Fills my 24 oz cup to 20 oz level nicely Uses my choice of pods or ground with filter.. Works great Cheeper. I have a 2nd on standby just in case. it's a store brand (Fred's Discount) and like the Sunbeam used ground or pods.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using a Keuring at home, work, and when RVing. We bought a smaller single cup version, which takes up little room. I tested mine with a Kill-A-Watt meter as well, here's what I measured.

We bought the optional carry bag, which has enough room for the coffee pot and a box of coffee pods. Unlike the full sized model, it does not have a water reservior. Pour a cup of cold water in the top, put in the coffee (tea, or even hot chocolate) pod, push the button. A minute and a half later, it's done. Unplug it, no parasitic load. Total power to brew a cup, 0.02 KWH, or 20 WH. 20 WH / 12V = 1.67 AH. This works fine from an inverter.

My wife would take it from work to bring camping each time we'd go. When we bought the Class A, we bought a dedicated coffee maker for it. The new version is even smaller than the previous one, and has cord storage in the back. It fits nicely in a pantry drawer.

$63 on Amazon (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/31WYAKD
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Used to take the drip machine with us on our trips but earlier this year while traveling we bought a Keurig and haven't looked back. Love the variety, ease of use and compactness.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I am NOT going without my drip coffee when boondocking. We use our favorite 120vac drip maker from the inverter. When brewing is done the coffee is poured into a fantastic stainless steel thermal bottle and the coffee maker is turned off.

The only power used is for the brewing which is very manageable.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
We use Aeropress. It is easy to use and clean.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:
I am not a picky coffee person. Not being picky about coffee makes life easier and cheaper.

I was this way most of my life. When the Dr said I should cut down on coffee, I decided I would drink the best tasting coffee I could.

RoyB wrote:

I also carry a MR COFFEE portable coffee grinder that will run off my 2KW generator or truck when needed...

My 200 watt inverter will power my grinder. Could heat water on stove, but my Jet boil is much faster.