cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New TV with dual voltage

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trying to decide what kind of TV I should buy that would run off batteries while dry camping. I bought a Samsung HD 24" TV at Costco which had a converter and was designed for 110 V. It said 14V output on the power box so I went to Radio Shack and bought a lighter socket power cord with the same size fitting that goes into the TV as the factory power converter. I just by passed the factory converter plugged into 12v and it works perfect. Now I can use either power source with the new TV.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742
15 REPLIES 15

gandalf42
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
I've been trying to decide what kind of TV I should buy that would run off batteries while dry camping. I bought a Samsung HD 24" TV at Costco which had a converter and was designed for 110 V. It said 14V output on the power box so I went to Radio Shack and bought a lighter socket power cord with the same size fitting that goes into the TV as the factory power converter. I just by passed the factory converter plugged into 12v and it works perfect. Now I can use either power source with the new TV.

Do you remember the Radio Shack product # you bought? Thanks!
Mike
Fort Collins, CO
'99 Born Free 26' Rear Side Bed

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:

What's does "TV (or DVD player) with a brick" mean?

External power supply, like a laptop has. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
homefor2 wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have an Insignia 19" with a 12 VDC brick and a Dynex DVD player with a 12 VDC brick. When I posted about them, boy oh boy did I get an earful about the dirty voltage, fluctuations and low battery voltage ruining the TV and the DVD player. I guess all that will happen after the warrantee expires.

I had a hard time finding a TV with a brick and now they are everywhere. I am waiting for a 12 volt TV with a built in BluRay player. Got one with a DVD player but we have gone to BR at home and would like one for the front TV.

I really wonder if you would notice any quality difference between BR and the normal DVD on such a small screen.

Maybe not but if you own the Blue Ray disks you can't play them in a DVD player. But, you can play DVD's in a Blue Ray player.

What's does "TV (or DVD player) with a brick" mean?

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have an Insignia 19" with a 12 VDC brick and a Dynex DVD player with a 12 VDC brick. When I posted about them, boy oh boy did I get an earful about the dirty voltage, fluctuations and low battery voltage ruining the TV and the DVD player. I guess all that will happen after the warrantee expires.

I had a hard time finding a TV with a brick and now they are everywhere. I am waiting for a 12 volt TV with a built in BluRay player. Got one with a DVD player but we have gone to BR at home and would like one for the front TV.

I really wonder if you would notice any quality difference between BR and the normal DVD on such a small screen.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is another thread, I believe in a different section of these forums about a 14 volt TV.... You night want to pop over there and mention the make model you bought.

Some folks wonder since we yammer about a 12 volt system in an RV, Fact is the RV's system is normally 13.6 volt. (12.6 on batteries only)

A 14 volt TV should be happy with 14+/= 20% That is 11.2 to 16.8 volts. Well within the normal voltage range of an RV
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the same tv. I was wondering if I could do that. Good to know for when we dry camp.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, I'll check into it, although I don't know if I'll spend the money at this time. I use a cheap power inverter plugged into the 12 volt socket and then plug the 110 volt TV into it. Not very efficient though.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, the TV in the new TT had a 12V brick power supply. I made a 12V power cord for it so our granddaughter could watch a DVD when visiting us.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
The model number is T24C550ND. It's a Samsung.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

grandpaswagon
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
So the TV had one of those boxes on it that plugs right into he wall and had a low voltage cable from that to the TV? I've never seen one like that but, I guess I've never looked. What was the model number on this TV??

That is now very common. One reason flat screens are even thinner and also reduces screen weight and heat. Should make it easier to service if needed.

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a 24" LED Insignia brand from Best Buy not too long ago. It was on one of their one day deals for a really cheap price. The biggest reason I got it was because it used a 12v power pack which gave me the ability to plug it straight into a 12v plug. Can use it either way. When I went to pick it up at the store they substituted for whatever reason and gave me the more expensive model with a DVD player built-in. Guess I made out on that deal. I was pleasantly surprised when I plugged it in the picture is nice. I noticed that with the TVs from 24" on down some use a power pack and some use a straight 120v cord.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the same TV for use in the house. I suspected that the 14v TV would work fine in the RV, probably better, or at least safer, than a 12v TV.

Glad to hear you have used it in the RV and it works well.

I currently have a similar 12v TV that works well in the RV.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
So the TV had one of those boxes on it that plugs right into he wall and had a low voltage cable from that to the TV? I've never seen one like that but, I guess I've never looked. What was the model number on this TV??