cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onstar phone

mabel
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use the onstar phone with their G.M. vehicle, if so how is the service.
25 REPLIES 25

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Have used mine extensively in Canada where there is no roaming charge with On*Star vs 69c/minute with Verizon.
Has worked well for me.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan for regular use. Verizon and OnStar used to have an option to sync services that made some sense. I only used mine for outgoing calls normally when I forgot my cell. One the service expired I never renewed.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours now and then and up till now, it was as good as a regular cell phone. However, they have switched carriers and gone from Verizon to Sprint, so I am anticipating that the service will go downhill quickly. We have NO Sprint service in most of the south Texas area where we work and very spotty service in both Idaho, our home and Nevada, where the family ranch headquarters is located.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a phone I can't help you.. ONSTAR serves many other functions as well.. One of them used to come in handy when I was working.

Neighbor PD put out a BOL (Be On Lookout, what the TV dicks really mean when they say "All Points Bulletin") and after several re-reads I realized they had not tried to find the Esclade using ON-Star (All Esclades come with it).. I sent them a phone number (1-800-###-####) and 15 minutes later they teletyped back the address where the car was parked and a request we check for it.. It was there, Engine still running.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
We have it in our new truck. Like others have shared, it works well in areas where our cell doesn't. Voices come through clearly and, as we have elderly parents ,we appreciate that we have the connection. Yes,it's pricier than cell service but ten dollars gives us 300 minutes and we only use it when cell service not available.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
caberto wrote:
resmas wrote:
I've used mine on several vehicles since activating the first system in 2004. Works great - has reception even when our cell phones don't (we have sprint cell phone service). It hasn't ever dropped a call. Minutes are pricey compared to a monthly cell plan, but I keep renewing them because the have ALWAYS worked when my cell phone won't. I've never had anyone on the other end of the call complain that they cannot hear me, and I've called lots of business in addition to family.

+1. I have no complaints. Has always worked great for me when I needed it, when cell coverage wasn't available. No complaints from the other end either. I've had the service on my previous truck and have it on my current truck since 2005.

Another for no problems with the phone. I transfer my cell phone calls to the truck when driving so I can comply with the handsfree laws in Albuquerque.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
resmas wrote:
I've used mine on several vehicles since activating the first system in 2004. Works great - has reception even when our cell phones don't (we have sprint cell phone service). It hasn't ever dropped a call. Minutes are pricey compared to a monthly cell plan, but I keep renewing them because the have ALWAYS worked when my cell phone won't. I've never had anyone on the other end of the call complain that they cannot hear me, and I've called lots of business in addition to family.

+1. I have no complaints. Has always worked great for me when I needed it, when cell coverage wasn't available. No complaints from the other end either. I've had the service on my previous truck and have it on my current truck since 2005.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I called my wife's car once and she nearly ran off the road. We got some free minutes with the service. Since then, we have never used it. I have OnStar in every vehicle and use the navigational/information services all the time. We just don't use the phone part of it. Besides, we usually have our cell phone in the car anyway.

One note- Just like cell service, there are pockets where you won't get any OnStar coverage either.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has never worked when i wanted to use it. Have to go through OnStar itself to get connected. I quit paying for all of it.

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter calls me now and again with hers and she sounds like she is in the bottom of a barrel.