cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privacy?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
149 REPLIES 149

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, it's not all that lame-it's pretty cute BUT on here sometimes ya just can't tell who's serious and who isn't! :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Relax, it's just a lame attempt at humor. No need to jump to litigation.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a suggestion for those that want to be alone when someone parks close. Bring out a shotgun or any large weapon. Sit down and stare at it while examining the action of the weapon. Then say in a loud voice so your DW in the camper can hearโ€ฆ."honey, I can't figure out why this damn thing goes off just barely looking at it, hope we can fix those holes in our unit"

I am hoping this is "tongue in cheek" humor. If not and you choose to do so in MA, keep your lawyer handy.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 2 1/2 months travelling around Arizona this past winter. Some of the scenery was spectacular but we also met some of the nicest campers we have ever met. As a matter of fact we got a call yesterday and were invited to the home of one of them that happens to be in our area. We met an amazing number of people which was the highlight of our trip.

Here is a suggestion for those that want to be alone when someone parks close. Bring out a shotgun or any large weapon. Sit down and stare at it while examining the action of the weapon. Then say in a loud voice so your DW in the camper can hearโ€ฆ."honey, I can't figure out why this damn thing goes off just barely looking at it, hope we can fix those holes in our unit"
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I would park right next to you too. I go camping because I love being with other people who share an interest, and we're going to be great friends instantly. We'll have lunch and dinner together, and it will be a wonderful communion in a natural setting. It would never occur to me that you would want to be alone. How weird!

Actually, that is totally NOT me, but I'm sure it describes other people.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me see if I have your question right.

Assume a campground with 100 sites, 99 of them are empty, The 2nd camper to pull in parks right next to you... (Or very close in any case) why.

Because other than the odd hermit,, Man is a heard beast, (The term is Gregorius) we travel in heards or packs like Wolves or cows or Sheep, not loaners like Eagles or Bears.. We like to be near others of our kind (Human).

So say the professionals at least.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I'm in the minority, but when I'm camping alone, and it's at least once a week, I sure do appreciate someone pulling in right next door. But I like people and activity in general. I don't have little kids, dogs or bagpipes, and I don't mind any of it. Gets pretty dark and spooky at night, and the extra feeling of security is welcomed.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
I have bagpipes but at $3500 to replace I do not lay them out to be stolen. I will play them off key and screeching at 5 am.

I carried bagpipes on a few trips while learning them and I didn't even have to play at 0500. A few practice sessions mid-day and we'd typically have the place to ourselves by evening. :B
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
The best answer is...People do what they do and hardly ever is it what everyone else wants!

I do believe some city folks parked out in the boonies are a bit afraid to be so "out there" all alone.

Story time:

My hubbies brother's family visited us at home a few years back. They live in WV, even though that state is quite rural and rugged, they have never lived anywhere but in town and even in his home state (Ohio) there is a house almost every square mile so our really wide open spaces where you can't always see "civilization" or other humans for dozens of miles was a bit hard to deal with. We met them in a town nearby to lead them out onto the land. The 1st words out of his mouth after just traveling west of the Mississippi/out west were "Does God even know you are out here!" We still get a laugh out of that.

When we travel for pleasure we prefer to stay as remote as possible. When we get into crowded situations we get a bit edgy. Its not that we don't like making new friends...we just get tired the noise humans make...now don't get all goofy on us...TVs running, folks talking loudly outside all hours of the night, engines starting up at dawn, traffic noise. We grin and bear it though but really just love to be home where the only noise we hear are the coyotes, wolves & wind howling...maybe something not everyone appreciates. It's all good! Make the best of it or "it" will make the best of you!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
It's possible that they just might be more comfortable with someone beside them instead of being with no one around them. It's also possible that the last one in got into their favourite site in the entire place. Who knows? I do find it silly that someone in an RV park would expect spaces beside them to remain unoccupied just because there are other empty spots around. Want privacy, boondock it, don't go to a park.

Agreed, but even in BLM land there's no right to tell another RVer/camper not to park near you. Anyone that sensitive should not expect their own rules for their personal perception of privacy to be followed beyond their own private property boundaries. There is no right to privacy beyond the confines of your designated site you are renting from any entity.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that is the worst problem I have this Summer, I will consider the year a success.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pogoil wrote:
0rion wrote:
Crowe wrote:
what is the thought process of pulling in right next to another RVer when there would be 100 other empty sites of the exact same kind as in my example above?

Just accept the fact there isn't any and move on! Why get so wrapped around the axle about something that is so trivial? There's one thing you, Mock and the OP have to realize. It's not camper #2 that has the problem. It's YOU.

ding ding ding......we have a winner

X2
More like GONGG!!! GONGG!!! GONGG!!! GONGG!!!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
But I'll still think you are the weird one.

Well, EVERYBODY thinks I'm weird so you won't be alone! :B

Douglas Adams

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fortunately, I'm not interested in making any more babies at this stage of my life. :W

It seems that some of you believe that this is normal behavior :?. That being the case, we shall never reach any kind of consensus and can just 'agree to disagree'. If you see my rig out in an isolated place, you are free to camp right next to me. I won't bite and will probably be friendly. But I'll still think you are the weird one. :B
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8