cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage on driveway

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
We are changing things up a bit this winter in that we are planning on heading south after New Years. I have always stored my trailer on grass with a tarp between the ground and the tires. This year i am parking on my driveway for the time before we leave. My driveway is asphalt. I was once told that the rig shouldn't be stored on a concrete pad for any length of time, and now I wonder if the same holds true for asphalt. Thanks for any advice
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
— Pico Iyer
45 REPLIES 45

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a concrete driveway as do many other home owners. My vehicles are parked on them all year round. Yes they move once in awhile but sometimes may sit for a period of time as well. I don't believe a few months is a long period of time.
The only thing I do different in winter then summer is lift the rear jacks. That way when it freezes there isn't any twisting when the concrete starts to heave. Just have the front landing gear down.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Your mistake was not using the manufacturers "inflation tire charts" to set the pressure properly to prevent brown stains transfer to concrete.. although improper setting of the WD hitch might even have something to do with it.. :B

Thanks for that important, useful information. Here is the issue explained for those with open minds: tire stains
That sounds like it's a problem with the sealers - not the concrete.

But thanks to this forum and Michelin we do put vinyl mats under the tires for winter storage of our tow vehicle and our B. :C

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Your mistake was not using the manufacturers "inflation tire charts" to set the pressure properly to prevent brown stains transfer to concrete.. although improper setting of the WD hitch might even have something to do with it.. :B

Thanks for that important, useful information. Here is the issue explained for those with open minds: tire stains

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
No it's not an issue parking on concrete for the tires.

If it's asphalt concrete, you may want to use a board to avoid the potential for the tires to sink in a bit leaving a dimple in the surface...but even with the dimple, it isn't going to hurt the tires.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I would suggest keeping an eye on the tires. If you see any white material around the ground level, protect the tire in some way. Even the spray tire coatings will be enough.

What sort of white material are you talking about?

This morning the ground etc. around my house was covered everywhere in a few inches of white material that appeared overnight.

Good one-- You made me smile!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
FWIW, on page 7 of the Michelin RV Tire guide, under "Long Term Storage", they say "Place a barrier between the tire and the storage surface. Suitable barriers include plastic, plywood, cardboard, or rubber floor mats. "

My trailer always is parked at the exact same spot in my pole barn. The concrete floor had a sealer applied when new and now there are brown spots at each tire location. I believe that the preservative in the tires is slowly being absorbed by the concrete despite the sealer. I don't know if this has much of a negative effect on the tires, but my floor is getting uglier with each passing year.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yeah, this forum is dying - slowly.
If Mex ever stops binge posting and Dutch ever gets tired of reminding us he has a new fiver*, this forum will need life support.

*Just teasing Dutch 😉

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey Scott...the forum is the slowest I've seen it since joining! Silly yes, but at least a little discussion. Me thinks the poster with brown under his tires in pole barn, likely towed through the feed lot to get to the barn. 🙂

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My collector car has been parked on cement for more than 50 years without issue. My TT's have been stored that way as well.
This wins the daily award for being the most ridiculous thing posted in this goofy forum today. And maybe this week.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Anyone who’s worried the parking surface is attacking their tires needs more important things to keep them occupied....

Edit....wish my camper had 4’ of white stuff piled around it right now! Be able to bust out the snowbike and sleds!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Concrete driveway for 36 years. Never any problems with vehicle tires, auto or truck. Had a utility trailer parked on concrete pavers for probably 30 years. No problems with the tires. Its on its second set now due to age. Our two travel trailers are parked on concrete pavers in the grass, no problems.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
RobWNY wrote:
Whatever you do, don't park on #2 stones. That's what I park on and this morning I woke up to 8" of this odd white stuff everywhere. On my RV, on my house roof, on my lawn, on my driveway. I gotta get me a concrete pad!

Still won't work! I have a nice concrete pad, and since noon everything is white, expecting 5"s. Funny...Pheasant hunting Wednesday, 54 degrees, sunny, great day. Yesterday finished covering some vents on FW. This morning, serviced put away lawn mower. Tomorrow morning, fire up snowblower!!

Jerry

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
FWIW, on page 7 of the Michelin RV Tire guide, under "Long Term Storage", they say "Place a barrier between the tire and the storage surface. Suitable barriers include plastic, plywood, cardboard, or rubber floor mats. "

My trailer always is parked at the exact same spot in my pole barn. The concrete floor had a sealer applied when new and now there are brown spots at each tire location. I believe that the preservative in the tires is slowly being absorbed by the concrete despite the sealer. I don't know if this has much of a negative effect on the tires, but my floor is getting uglier with each passing year.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, don't park on #2 stones. That's what I park on and this morning I woke up to 8" of this odd white stuff everywhere. On my RV, on my house roof, on my lawn, on my driveway. I gotta get me a concrete pad!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
Here we go again. Rv'ers making RVing more complicated than it needs to be.

Indeed LOL.

As a public service message, here is the formula for determining the proper clearance from tire to concrete.....

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?