cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protectors. Do You Use One?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've ordered a portable surge protector from Camping World and expect to have it by next Thurs. Amazingly, I've managed to be OK without using one during my entire full time RVing career. I now feel that for the cost of one of these units (about $100+) the peace of mind is worth it.

If you're using one let us know if it has ever "saved your bacon" on occasion.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
49 REPLIES 49

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I check the pedestal before plugging in and have a hard wired unit with remote. On our old TT had a portable unit. Neither have given any indication of a problem so I count my blessings.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
tmmar wrote:
I have been using a Progressive 'surge' surpresser for a number of years now. It has the ability to monitor the power coming into my coach. It has, on several occasions, alerted me to the fact that the power coming in to my coach was low voltage-as low as 103 volts- which as ed6713 indicated, could be harmful to A/C's and other electric motors. This problem is not limited to certain, off brand campgrounds. I found this problem in very large, prominent campgrounds like Disney's Fort Wilderness, Hershey High Meadow, and most recently, Sugarloaf Key KOA in Key West. It got to the point where the surge protector would shut down the power to my coach and reset a short time later. I feel that with all the electronics in today's coaches, it is well worth the investment of a few hundred dollars to protect the coach.
JMHO.

X2
Saved me several times due to low voltage, which protected my A-C units, by shutting down power. Provided me with information that I gave to CG and they found a a power transformer was the cause. W/O my Progressive hard wired Surge Suppressor I would have had expensive repairs for the damaged electronics, etc.

Same for Fire Extinguishers, I carry several but have never had a fire, better safe than sorry.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm on my 4th RV and this is the first one that I've used a surge protector on. Never had a problem that caused any damage but after reading a lot of posts here I figured I was living on borrowed time. So I installed a hardware Progress Industries in my current RV about a year ago. Never saw it report any problems until yesterday. There were heavy thunderstorms in the area and I noticed that it was reporting a "PE04" - low voltage. Looks like my insurance policy paid off!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have one.
I have never had an electrical problem in an RV.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did you search this Forum for `surge protector'? Do you carry a fire extinguisher? insurance? spare tire? Get the drift?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I have a Progressive Industries EMS HW30C. It has cut off the power 2 or 3 times when the park power fell too low to safely power the AC. Well worth the money and time to install, in my opinion.

I also went with the Progressive Industries HW30C. It shut me down 4-5 time last season because of low voltage. It's worth every penny.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
EMS-PT50C here. We bought it and a new microwave last month
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I use the 30A Surge Guard. I use the portable model because I don't want to deal with having to bypass a damaged/fried hardwired model. Should my Surge Guard fail I will likely replace it with the EMS-PT30C.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you got the $100 dollar one, it is probably the one that does not have automatic reset.
I made that mistake. If you leave the trailer/rv and there is low voltage, it will trip but won't automatically reset. then at the end of a hot day when you return, your Rv will be like an oven.
I gave my $100 one away for free.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob213 wrote:
Cancel your order...The $100 unit is a waste of money. If you are going to spend the money get an EMS surge protector like the Progressive industries with a lifetime warranty. JMHO
x2

Get a full power protector like the Progressive Industries HW30C or the portable unit.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plugged in the surge protector last week at marginal "RV"park in Brinkley Arkansas and discover an open ground. Reported it and moved to another site. Agree that the EMS units are the best way to go. :C

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
love my ems. had a 30a hardwired, now with new rig got the 50a unit

daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and it has saved my bacon 2 times in 2 yr! I wouldn't be w/out it.

Cherry

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Progressive Industries EMS HW30C. It has cut off the power 2 or 3 times when the park power fell too low to safely power the AC. Well worth the money and time to install, in my opinion.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Cancel your order...The $100 unit is a waste of money. If you are going to spend the money get an EMS surge protector like the Progressive industries with a lifetime warranty. JMHO
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand