cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Paper?

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Is it really necessary to use RV toilet paper or can I just use some good old Scotts septic safe stuff. I hate paying three times as much for crappy toilet paper and it is a hassle when you run out.
Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV
74 REPLIES 74

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use Angel Soft or Kirkland, same as home.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
GaryWT wrote:
Gee Ed, what's got your goat...

Just about every time a toilet paper question comes up someone is not flushing but tossing it in the trash. I am one that finds this gross, the smell must just stay in the bathroom, flies, disease and what ever is just not worth it.

I have been using Scott's for 25 years and never an issue and as for the sensors, rarely look at them anyway.

Never had an issue with tossing it in the trash. Use a WM bag for a liner in a small trash can. Wrap up the TP well in a little more TP. Take it out daily with the other trash. No problems, no flies, no odor, no disease. I promise.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikensallyt wrote:
I know that this may sound gross but ..... Place a small trash can in the bathroom. Just roll up the paper and toss it in the can. You can also use those plastic grocery bags to roll it up in. Just remember to empty the trash can.

That's what we always did in the TT. No problem. Just take it out every day with your regular trash.

If you have guests who are not versed in the issue.... they are prone to using wads of TP and little water. Not a pleasant surprise. And a big wad does not break up as well as the few sheets in the jar.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
RV is short for "Really Valuable" That is why most anything with "RV" in the name costs so much!
Costco brand has worked fine for us,full time RVing for 9 years.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
As other suggested...

I was very curious and I recently compared scott rv to regular scott. I took 2 containers and placed 2 cups of water and about 1.5 foot piece of TP in each one.

Let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Stirred it up with my finger and surprisingly the regular scott broke into smaller pieces and was less "consistent"/"thick"...

The scott RV still did well, but it shows there is nothing wrong with using regular scott tissue.

*Other brands may behave differently. Try it yourself. Easy to do and the TP will get used either way.
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
AngelSoft broke down better than the RV stuff also. Those tests are all over the internet and show that a septic safe toilet paper is just as safe to use in an RV as RV toilet paper.

The reason why people have to ask is because there are many who tell them "if you want to clog up your valves and sensors, then go ahead and use household brands" when the evidence shows that's not true.

Pretty much nailed it! Good job...
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Why does anyone have to ask? It's so easy to test. Take an RV paper and a regular roll from your house, put them in jars of water and shake them up. The results are quite distinctive. If you don't care above t clogging up your black tank sensor or valves, feel free to use those house brands.

This proves nothing except you've wasted some TP. All TP is septic safe, show me one that's not, all TP is rv safe biodegradable or any other qualifier you want to put on it.

So one TP breaks up faster...big deal it makes no difference going down that pipe.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Gee Ed, what's got your goat...

Just about every time a toilet paper question comes up someone is not flushing but tossing it in the trash. I am one that finds this gross, the smell must just stay in the bathroom, flies, disease and what ever is just not worth it.

I have been using Scott's for 25 years and never an issue and as for the sensors, rarely look at them anyway.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Scott RV septic safe is what we use.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like so many other products for Rv'ers the "special" toilet paper is just a clever way to separate you from your money using fear as the main marketing tactic.

It's just a waste (no pun intended) of money.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Why does anyone have to ask? It's so easy to test. Take an RV paper and a regular roll from your house, put them in jars of water and shake them up. The results are quite distinctive. If you don't care above t clogging up your black tank sensor or valves, feel free to use those house brands.

Why do people have to ask?

Because its an extremely relevant question.

Clogged drains SUCK!

RV TP is expensive, yet seems cheap.

There's no shortage of over priced bullcrap products in the world.

And because a jar is a good bit different than a holding tank... maybe the test is valid, or maybe it over agitates things.

That all adds up to a very big and very obvious question if RV TP is something you really need, or if it's just a big con.

Sure, try the jar test, but the questions are valid- and that's also why the topic shows up in a new thread every few weeks.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
mikensallyt wrote:
I know that this may sound gross but ..... Place a small trash can in the bathroom. Just roll up the paper and toss it in the can. You can also use those plastic grocery bags to roll it up in. Just remember to empty the trash can.

Really? You might as well sit on a five gallon bucket and dump that into a rest stop toilet while your at it.

Actually outside of NA, Europe and Australia this is exactly how most of the world handles their toilet paper. It's not unusual. Most sewer and water treatment plants wont handle the toilet paper well.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
old guy wrote:
mikensallyt wrote:
yes that is gross, it's a holding tank not a septic tank. how do you put up with the smell. I'll use the toilet thank you very much.

Agree! And then I suppose they dispose of it in the trash and landfill instead of it going to a waste treatment plant. Ugh. :E

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Used to faithfully use expensive rv tp.....switched over to kirkland regular tp and have been using it for 3 years without any issues! Come on guys...this is a no brainer!

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
mikensallyt wrote:

Really? You might as well sit on a five gallon bucket and dump that into a rest stop toilet while your at it.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000