cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using golf carts around RV parks

MOWERMAN47164
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking of buying a toy hauler & a golf cart, will we be able to use the cart in enough places to warrant spending on these only to not be able to use the cart enough?
52 REPLIES 52

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
mowin wrote:
noplace2 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
If you're handicapped, probably yes.

In the absence of real physical limitations (sheer laziness doesn't count) get out and walk. Your body will thank you for it.

WOW. Not everyone has a desk job. I own a lawn care/property management business. I get PLENTY of exercise during the week. The golf cart is a welcome reprieve from walking around.

While I don't have a lawn care, this week, I split a cord of wood, mowed my yard and my moms, helped my son paint a room and many other things. All state parks in Florida and Georgia allow golf carts so we use them. If you don't like it, stay out of our state parks and enjoy your KOA ****.

I trust that both of you understand that you are far and away the exceptions to the #250+ lb slobs who walk just fine from their rigs to their golf carts so they can "walk" the dog. And an aside, you wouldn't find us anywhere near a KOA. We are firmly in the simpler is better camp.

Enjoy your experience, whatever you perceive it to be.

So once you reach 250# you're a slob now? You are now the arbiter of what others should look like? You give a whole new meaning to the term "Weight Police". I think I will just mind my own business and weight and let others do what they think is appropriate for them.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Golf carts are fine if you really need one but to let the kids play with them or drive in a parade continuously is ridiculous and annoying. It's even hard to walk in parks with the carts running around.

X10!
Most use the carts as a babysitter for their kids.
They throw the kids on the golf carts first thing in the morning and they drive around the CG all day and night running into people walking, run into the dogs fellow campers are walking, and running up on peoples sites etc.

Do these people ruin it for the rest? Yes. The few CG's I stayed at that allowed golf carts that IS what went on ALL day and ALL night.

I now will not stay at a CG that allows golf carts.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add to some of these latest comments. Don't get a gas cart. Almost all campgrounds that allow carts DO NOT allow gas carts.

By the way. Liability insurance will run around $100/year. Most campgrounds will require that as well.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a golf cart and a toy hauler.

We used to do sporting clays shooting once or twice a month - so our golf cart had a gun rack. Made for interesting conversations when we (rarely) camped at "normal" campgrounds. (most of the time we camped right at the gun clubs). Took it to Disney one time. Saved a bit of hoofing around.

If you think you will use it, go for it. Only word of advise - if you plan on getting a gas powered golf cart (or any gas powered toys) make sure you get a toy hauler with a separate garage. You do not want to spend the night in a trailer that has a gas tank INSIDE the same area where you are sleeping - if you want to wake up in the morning. You dont need a separate garage for an electric golf cart.

You may also want to peruse the Toy Hauler section of the forums.
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Golf carts are fine if you really need one but to let the kids play with them or drive in a parade continuously is ridiculous and annoying. It's even hard to walk in parks with the carts running around.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rsday75
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
The problem is the many many many irresponsible people that turn them over to their young teens to operate. Nothing at all wrong with a sober responsible adult using them in a safe and acceptable manner.

This.
My daughter was almost hit by a teen on a golf cart at one of the Big 3 campgrounds in Myrtle Beach. So many kids driving fast on the carts. Not obeying the rules of the road. Had one cut through our site just after I had stepped inside one night. Saw a rental cart knock a stop sign down about midnight one evening. All 4 teens in the cart baled and just left the cart sit...Security seems to turn a blind eye.

Have been to other campgrounds that allow them, but are very strict. 16 or older, must have a license, etc. One strike and you are out/no cart for the rest of your stay type rules, and did not mind the carts there.
2003 GMC Serria 2500HD D/A
2016 Jayco 355MBQS

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem is the many many many irresponsible people that turn them over to their young teens to operate. Nothing at all wrong with a sober responsible adult using them in a safe and acceptable manner.

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with my Mother-in-Law. She is 90 and can't walk very well. That is why we take our GEM camping sometimes. Yes we do park it under the awning, but has never been a problem with additional park fees. I walk myself, but my Wife takes care of her Mom, and the GEM really helps at the larger or hilly Campgrounds. Just saying

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
tpi wrote:
I've never had golf cart and probably never will. But what makes them so annoying to some? What am I missing here? All I've seen is quiet slow vehicles going about their business.

I was wondering this, too.

In outdoor resorts Palm Springs there are roughly 1200 sites and there is at least one cart per site. With a community that size they are pretty much a necessity. The only annoying ones are the 6 or 7 gas carts in the park. Smoky, noisy stinky beasts. Only a few left and I suspect they will be gone in a few years.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
tpi wrote:
I've never had golf cart and probably never will. But what makes them so annoying to some? What am I missing here? All I've seen is quiet slow vehicles going about their business.

I was wondering this, too.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen them used in commercial RV parks, and in many large seasonal parks with lots of permanent residents, golf carts are the culture.

They are generally not used in public campgrounds, which often have a "licensed vehicles only" policy for use of the roads, as reaction to problems with irresponsible use of ATVs.

Whether you use a cart enough to make it worthwhile is thus going to depend on where you go, and cost relative to your resources. After all, many folks have some quite expensive things, like vacation homes (and for some of us, RVs) that get very little use, but are worthwhile when we do use them.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
About the only campground we frequent that allows golf carts is Disney's Fort Wilderness. However, we generally seek out campgrounds that don't allow golf carts. We are not fans of golf carts, except on the golf course.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
mowin wrote:
noplace2 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
If you're handicapped, probably yes.

In the absence of real physical limitations (sheer laziness doesn't count) get out and walk. Your body will thank you for it.

WOW. Not everyone has a desk job. I own a lawn care/property management business. I get PLENTY of exercise during the week. The golf cart is a welcome reprieve from walking around.

While I don't have a lawn care, this week, I split a cord of wood, mowed my yard and my moms, helped my son paint a room and many other things. All state parks in Florida and Georgia allow golf carts so we use them. If you don't like it, stay out of our state parks and enjoy your KOA ****.

I trust that both of you understand that you are far and away the exceptions to the #250+ lb slobs who walk just fine from their rigs to their golf carts so they can "walk" the dog. And an aside, you wouldn't find us anywhere near a KOA. We are firmly in the simpler is better camp.

Enjoy your experience, whatever you perceive it to be.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
tracyb-oh wrote:
I had to chuckle about the Smart Car post when you said "enough room for Costco runs" We have a Smart car, and it is not our vehicle of choice to go load up at Costco. One giant pack of paper towels and another of toilet paper and you are basically maxed out on cargo space. But we do love it to scoot around town for smaller errands or just going out to eat.

Heh heh. Ain't that the truth though. Angela kinda makes it into a challenge. She's kinda proud of her "costco packing". Here is one of here pack jobs in our old CDI (since sold) Kinda cool. But I hear ya.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.