cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the trick to make bugs removeable from a vehicle?

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
We spend a large portion of our year in warm dry climates and I assume that is something that flying bugs don't like because I don't have a bug problem there. But summers are spent in WY and I swear I get bug splatter on my rear window backing out of a parking spot. We have a new car and I don't want to ruin the finish with brillo pads. There are bright yellow bugs and some so darn tiny that they just make a pimple on the finish. I've started using WD 40 to remove them and to put a protective finish to the front end. Whats the trick?
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox
23 REPLIES 23

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning works better during or after an all day rain. Water for hours makes bugs unstick.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how to keep them off but spraying them with hydrogen peroxide (dirt cheap) will turn them to goo and they will wipe right off.

I use this with a micro-fiber cloth on my motorcycle. Do this the end of each day before they really get cooked on.

Works as well as all the high priced "magic" stuff!!

X2
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Mequires synthetic spray wax. Best of the quick waxes. Just put it on a clean windshield and use a micro fiber to remove it. I generally do it twice.
I use it on all the glass,on the Mercedes. Bugs and stuff come off easier.
I just spray them off. I'm not saying bugs still won't make a mess but they come off easier as does dust.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how to keep them off but spraying them with hydrogen peroxide (dirt cheap) will turn them to goo and they will wipe right off.

I use this with a micro-fiber cloth on my motorcycle. Do this the end of each day before they really get cooked on.

Works as well as all the high priced "magic" stuff!!
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
I use a product called "HOGSNOT" that can be found in most Harley Davidson dealers. Spray it on the offending bugs & they wipe right off.

It's not a RV product, but it works very well.

At least the bugs are on your coach...

Let me tell you, them big fuzzy bugs ain't tasty!!! :B

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
tomkaren13 wrote:
Water lots of water. Even Love bug removal is made easier by soaking them. We know about bugs being in Florida.

x2. Even easier early on damp mornings, they're pre-soaked!
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Rejex
X4. Did just my front cap and it is amazing!

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
For $5 at Walmart, they had a mitt with a soft microfiber side and a microfiber mesh on the other. The mesh got rid if the baked on bugs easily.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Motorsickle riders know to soak a cloth / towel / bedsheet in the hottest clean water ever, and flop that on the bugged surface. Enjoy 1/2 a adult beverage (after your ride please) then gently warsh to remove the bugs. No fancy products needed.

Not sure if this works on bugs applied at RV speeds vs motorsickle speeds. Your results may vary.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We do a quick once-over after driving. It doesn't take long to just do the windshield and front of the RV. The longer they bake on the more difficult to remove.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a new vehicle, I'd suggest you have someone buff out a couple of coats of a polymer based polish. Rejex is one of those. The polymer coatings last longer than wax.
As others have said, soaking with water brings good results. I've also used those bug and tar removers but I bet they take off any protective coating, as well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
use griots garage bug guard on the front, they almost hose off, and what's left use griots garage bug remover, quickly gets rid of what's left.

I use the bug guard on the front trailer cap as well. again, quick blast of a hose removes 90% of the bugs.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Water lots of water. Even Love bug removal is made easier by soaking them. We know about bugs being in Florida.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
http://seafoamsales.com/bugs-b-gone/
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot