cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of RVer are you

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to say one is better just in answering a question my cousin asked today I started thinking about the main categories of RVers. I may have overlooked some and of course most people will fit into multiple categories. I have been all of the following types at one time or another. Right now I am a Snowbird more than anything else. Spending summers in the mountains and winters in the desert at a stick home.

Basically RV people are either:

Full timers with out a stick house.

Snow birds going from bad weather to good weather and frequently having a stick house somewhere.

Vacationers traveling for one or two vacation trips a year or going to a favorite place for recreational reasons on weekends.

Retirees seeing the country and traveling for months at a time at a leisurely pace stopping for days or weeks at they go along but returning to a home base for most of the year;

People living in one because it is the best economic choice for them.

AND ????
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat
71 REPLIES 71

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Our rv is our hotel on wheels as we travel around the 48 states.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
Still working, another 5 to 8 years. For now, we get out for a 3 or 4-day weekend once a month whether we need it or not (always do!) and a couple 1-week trips thrown in to make sure I don't lose any PTO at the end of the year due to max carry-over!

Starting to sketch out concepts of 2 to 3 month trips for after retirement. With DW's need for a place to call "home" will likely keep the sticks & bricks ... maybe that will change though!
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We do not RV, we camp. We usually have electric hookups but are on lots so large and wooded that we can seldom see our neighbors.
And sometimes we change to a tent traveling for several weeks at a time. And at 77 we can still backpack.
We spend 80-100 nights a year camping.

Trails_And_Tail
Explorer
Explorer
Right now we are newbie week-enders, but next spring we plan to become ... Retirees seeing the country and traveling for months at a time at a leisurely pace stopping for days or weeks at they go along but returning to a home base for most of the year.
"Life has a way of giving you what you want when you help others get what they need"

2 Retired RV Newbies
Traveling with 2 Shih Tzu
1991 Ford Tioga Arrow 27'

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
We're "Travelers" - semi-retired, not waiting until it's too late to get out and see this great land. Will travel for 1-2 month trips, back to S&B, work some more, travel again. Also like to camp - visit local State and USFS parks, sometimes stay for a week at a time - rare for folks in a 'B', usually. Break out the dutch oven , fly rod, and canoe, then back to S&B to do it over again! As someone's tag line reads "Life is short, death is long". So we choose to live! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
We're liveaboards renting out the stick house hoping the tenant wants to buy it. Otherwise we're happily giving her an incredible deal.

Back in 2010 we went off on a short trip. We're still out there.
-jbh-

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Full time no S&B for 9 years.
This year we'll be part time RVers 4 months or so a year to get out of the Arizona heat, the rest of the time at our, new to us, S&B in Arizona.
That's the "plan",it's yet to be seen if we'll be able to stay in one place for so long.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV is our fulltime roving home, now in our 15th year.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

TxCowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm twice retired and assist in my wife's business. I do all of the business operations so she can focus on the technical aspects of work.

We have a stick and brick house outside a major Texas city and use the 5th wheel RV as a beach front vacation home about every other weekend.

We are about 2 1/2 years from sliding in to full retirement. We plan to sell the SnB house, keep the FW in our current beach front RV park as a base camp, and buy a late model used Class C to do some trips we've planned over the past couple of years.

After about 2 years or so and several trips in the Class C, we hope to have a better picture of whether we should keep the Class C / FW plan going or sell both of them and buy a Class A.

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
Road Runners wrote:
This is us....

Retirees seeing the country and traveling for months at a time at a leisurely pace stopping for days or weeks at they go along but returning to a home base for most of the year;

X2
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
Not really a vacationer since it feels like my life has just been one huge vacation. Now if I get the urge to just get away from it all for a few days, "SEE YOU LATER".

No camp fires in the summer but they sure are lovely in the winter.
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live in a nice log cabin on a pond and have a 15 yo motorhome which we try to use once a month to go to state parks. We also take week to two week trips once or twice a year. We will never go full time but may take more longer trips. P
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
We are tourists. We use our motor home as our hotel room. We do not camp and do not bother with a firepit in the hot summer months. We do not NASCAR nor fly Confederate colors. We also occasionally make and sell custom coffee mugs at some venues where we are welcome.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad loved to travel and my Mom put up with it. I'm retired (early) and single, but I inherited the "travel gene" from my Dad, so I go where I choose when I choose. Even had my home built with low point drains in the basement, and furnace settings to keep it just above freezing in the winter when and if I'm gone. They had a 'C' and pulled a VW. I drive a 'C' and pull a Jeep toad. I still haven't been in Washington or Oregon but they're on my list. I did make it to Alaska on one trip. That was for my Dad. He always wanted to go but didn't live long enough to make that trip. I even got pics of Denali on a rare day when the peak wasn't shrouded in clouds. He would have loved it.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

VAfan
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
Artum Snowbird wrote:

But our home is our life and the RV is just a nice thing to have and enjoy on occasion.

Well said....that be us too!:B

Us too. Like exploring more than setting around the camper.