cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clip On Tow Mirrors

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a 2016 Tundra 5.7 Double Cab w/ tow package, but no tow mirrors. I only have a inch or two clearance on either side with the garage door, so I'd rather not switch to permanent towing mirrors. Anybody have any recommendation for clip-on tow mirrors that can be removed when not towing? Thanks.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT
28 REPLIES 28

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
CIPA has worked well for me. Many thousands of miles.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
McKesh mirrors! Towed with them for years before I had a truck with real mirrors. Easy on/off, no vibration.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have cipa mirrors and mine do not vibrate like crazy. I have towed thousands
of miles and can see clearly what is behind me.

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Try CIPA tow mirrors. (Google) They do not clip on. They slide OVER your existing mirrors. Custom fitted for your vehicle. They do NOT vibrate and look like they were made there. And when you are done towing. Just slide them off.
They are more pricey than clip on, But worth it. Mine were in the $65.00 per set range.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess "clip on" was a poor choice of words. The CIPA fit overs were the ones that I was looking at. Will probably go that route.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Cccccccccccclllllllliiiiiiippppppp oooooooonnnnnnnsssssss sssssssssuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk.......... I used to use the cipa slide over mirrors, and they were much bettter, but still vibrated at higher speeds. I replaced the entire factory mirrors with telescoping tow mirrors that incorporate an additional convex blind spot mirror from ebay. They are not oem quality, but they do the job nicely. Mine are heated, power adjust, and heated defrost. Some of the ones on ebay and other online sites do not have a convex spotter, it is flat glass. So if you want a convex spotter you have to be careful to order the right one.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the slide on mirrors work OK. Not nearly as good as the big tow mirrors, but they work.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Try CIPA tow mirrors. (Google) They do not clip on. They slide OVER your existing mirrors. Custom fitted for your vehicle. They do NOT vibrate and look like they were made there. And when you are done towing. Just slide them off.
They are more pricey than clip on, But worth it. Mine were in the $65.00 per set range.

X2
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I used the slide on ones and they worked well. I thought that the Tundra offered the big tow mirrors that slide out when needed and then slid in when not used, but I could be wrong.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Fit System snap on mirrors for my Suburban. They work okay, not much vibration and still allow for my OEM power fold functionality with the extra mirrors on. This says 07+, but I know the Tundra has been updated a little recently. I'm not sure if they still fit a 2016. Amazon has a good return policy.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree on the vibration issues - had that problem when we towed a TT with a Tahoe. The OEM extendable towing mirrors on my Sierra will fold flat against the side of the truck. I have the non-motorized (for folding) version, but I'm pretty sure they come in a power-folding version, as well.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The ones we tried vibrated like crazy and were next to worthless.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with the clip on mirrors is they vibrate too much at cruising speeds and only help when backing in sites. Instead I put rectangular angled mirrors on the outside if my truck mirrors. Took a little getting used to but ow I find them much better than any mirrors extensions I've ever used.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I got some that use two rubber straps per mirror, don't remember the brand, I bought one and tried it and went back and bought a second one. vibrates a little, but usable.

bumpy