cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Military grade aluminum LOL

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Watch this Troy then ask yourself if this is what you want your next truck made out of!

Ford Tough NOT!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
75 REPLIES 75

Bedlam
1jeep wrote:
ronharmless wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Watch this Troy then ask yourself if this is what you want your next truck made out of!

Ford Tough NOT!

Don
What you going to do when Dodge starts building their trucks out of aluminum? Forget you made all these snarky comments for the last two years?

it will be made from special Italian cummins aluminum! Far superior to anything ford or chevy can produce.

To get it right, Ram can outsource it to someone who is competent. You know: Engine=Cummins, Transmission=Aisin, Wheels=Alcoa. Maybe Ram can outsource their bodies to Ford since it will have then most experience? Yes, I own a Ram but also understand that my choice could also be improved upon. To succeed, you hire people brighter than you - You can apply the same to building a truck. To make a good truck, you pick the best parts available to you in the field.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
You Ram and GM boys need to review the crash test before denouncing the "military grade aluminum" Ford.

Pickup crash test.

Measures taken from the crash test dummy in all but the F-150 indicated a likelihood of serious lower leg, ankle and foot injuries.

"Drivers in these pickups would need help freeing their legs from the wreckage following a small overlap crash.

My sympathies when they are trying to free your feet and legs from the wreckage of your trucks with a poor rating.

DANG!!!:E..So even those of us who said nothing negative about Ford, it appears as though you're actually hoping we who own a Chevy/GM or Ram may have a wreck and WILL have to be cut out of our trucks with feet and legs mangled..Just my perception of your statement...Pretty sick to the point of being hateful and spiteful, over something as silly as talking about truck beds?!? Who really cares??...Every brand gets slammed in these forums, but very few talk about someone needing to be cut out of their truck with morbid injuries to their feet and legs.....it's gotten that bad:?

Jim

the facts are right there in the Video, how is that spiteful?
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
You Ram and GM boys need to review the crash test before denouncing the "military grade aluminum" Ford.

Pickup crash test.

Measures taken from the crash test dummy in all but the F-150 indicated a likelihood of serious lower leg, ankle and foot injuries.

"Drivers in these pickups would need help freeing their legs from the wreckage following a small overlap crash.

My sympathies when they are trying to free your feet and legs from the wreckage of your trucks with a poor rating.

DANG!!!:E..So even those of us who said nothing negative about Ford, it appears as though you're actually hoping we who own a Chevy/GM or Ram may have a wreck and WILL have to be cut out of our trucks with feet and legs mangled..Just my perception of your statement...Pretty sick to the point of being hateful and spiteful, over something as silly as talking about truck beds?!? Who really cares??...Every brand gets slammed in these forums, but very few talk about someone needing to be cut out of their truck with morbid injuries to their feet and legs.....it's gotten that bad:?

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
DirtyOil wrote:
It ain't a pick up truck until it has dents or scratches, regardless of whether its made of aluminum, steal, or wood.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
It ain't a pick up truck until it has dents or scratches, regardless of whether its made of aluminum, steal, or wood.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
I saw the commercial. Sounded like they were saying the tool box is empty? The steel used on bodies today is quite brittle. Saw a 2009 Silverado at a body shop the other day. Metal fatigue on the bed was significant. It was splitting in places, and splitting around several of the spot welds. The shop was replacing the front wall, as it had a split toward the center running top to bottom. No fifth wheel hitch or bed liner. No sheet metal damage to floor, sides, or rails, only worn paint from having things slid in and out. Body shop owner is going to highly recommend Rhino Lining or Line X to the owner to cushion the steel from the vibration that is some of the cause of fatigue. He states vehicles built in the last 20 to 25 years exhibit a lot of metal fatigue that virtually never occurred prior to that time.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
The only way that manufacturers are going to reach the fleet average CAFE standards from now on is by either reducing weight and/or increasing engine efficiency (turbo/hybrid/smaller displacement/turbodiesel/electric/whatever).

Ford just happens to have taken the first large scale manufacturer (no, Porche is not a large scale manufacturer, even if they are owned by VW), to reduce the weight of their best-selling vehicle.

There will be bumps along the road, and people may have to change the way they do things (don't dump bricks from 4 feet up into your bed), but I think they are going along the right path.

Being ahead of the pack means some people may ridicule the steps that you take now, only to realize that you may be right later.

That being said, they could have made the bed out of carbon fiber. Lighter and stronger.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet if they put a bedliner in both trucks, neither one would have had any damage.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
ronharmless wrote:

Ford Tough NOT!

Don
What you going to do when Dodge starts building their trucks out of aluminum? Forget you made all these snarky comments for the last two years?

it will be made from special Italian cummins aluminum! Far superior to anything ford or chevy can produce.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer

Ford Tough NOT!

Don

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
lbrjet wrote:
The toolbox hole did make the bed look pretty flimsy.

I agree it make it look easy to put a hole in, but the question is how much weight was in the tool box?

I will say as a young kit when a tool box like that was every thing I owned it was pretty heavy, but now days it would only have what I needed for the job i was carrying it to.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"Military grade aluminum"??
Methinks that is probably similar to the "Fine Corinthian leather" that used to be advertised.
That is to say, it is an advertising gimmick that does not really exist.

Then there is the famous "Aircraft grade" aluminum. Do they really expect us to believe that the item is made of FAA-PMA certified aluminum? That FAA certification is the only thing that defines aluminum as "aircraft grade". It is the same alloy that is used in other applications.
Yes, I do know a little about aluminum. During my working career I worked in an aluminum smelter, I worked in aircraft manufacturing using various aluminum alloys from 1100 aluminum to 7075-T6-511, and I held an A&P license, doing mostly airframe work.
When aluminum gets stretched and work hardened, it is very difficult to push back into shape, weld the damage, and grind it smooth so it can be refinished. Cutting out the damage and patching it would be much better and easier. Again, welding and grinding would be required (I don't think anybody would want a riveted doubler and patch in their vehicle, as an aircraft would be repaired).
It just might be better to replace the entire assembly, and scrap the damaged part.
I think I'll just keep my old Dodge...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bedlam
Since last year it has been stated that the Superduty is getting a heavier bed than the F150. They've done plenty of testing, so we'll see how it does in real life verse a choreographed commercial for another brand.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/11/ford-tests-2017-ford-super-duty-bed.html

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1509-2017-ford-f-series-super-duty-first-look/

As far as using a truck for work: I think some people have a difficult time discerning between use and abuse.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
part of the reason I bought a 2016 super duty, im just not sold on having an alum truck, not that I plan to drop cinder blocks into the bed.

I agree. Going to look at one tomorrow.

People who drop rocks like that in the bed are too stupid to drive on the road.

Before LineX or plastic bed liners, people used a 1/2" sheet of plywood on the bed to protect it.

Commercials are for idiots anyway. Nobody but stupid people buy a truck because of one commercial. But then, there are a lot of stupid people in the world.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
The tool box drop was real-world and I can see that happening. I didn't expect to see a hole punched.

There is good news here, the new battle ground looks to be steel versus aluminium, that means the horsepower/torque wars are over.