cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper Attic - how much do you use?

Vic_R
Explorer
Explorer
Ok - "Attic" may be generous, but how much do you use the roof top racks and rear ladder on your truck camper? I was certain I was going to order a ladder and Yakima rails on my new camper, but now I'm having second thoughts on what I would actually put up here???
Hallmark Everest pop-up truck camper on a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4wd, Aisin Auto, crew cab, short bed
40 REPLIES 40

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Front wheels from the bikes go up there, bungeed down. Bikes go on a carrier on the ladder. Once in a while I put the large Weber charcoal BBQ up there too.
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
I occasionally use the roof for light but bulky things, like empty water containers. Sometimes, but not often, I put our folding mountain bikes up there, but it is awkward, and they weigh 16kg each - weight I don't really want up there - just don't have anywhere else to put them.

More frequently I use the roof as access to clean the solar panels and moon roof.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
I installed an aluminum basket type rack #25 and I use it to always carry our aluminum instant up awning 31#, no big deal. Not worried about damaging my aluminum roof. Guess where your a/c is and what it weighs
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
The first mod to my camper was the roof rack and ladder.
We carry 2 kayaks and a canoe on top.
I am going to look into building a platform to hold extra fuel for motorcycle and a chainsaw.
To get the kayaks up I lean them against the camper, climb onto th roof and reach over and haul them up. With the canoe, I like to have help, but can pull it up by myself in a pinch.
With new canoe, the height is 12' 6" so there have been a few fuel stations that we could not get into.
We have also used the roof as a viewing platform.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Vic R wrote:
Ok - "Attic" may be generous, but how much do you use the roof top racks and rear ladder on your truck camper? I was certain I was going to order a ladder and Yakima rails on my new camper, but now I'm having second thoughts on what I would actually put up here???

My gets used as a handhold when I get on the roof. That's about all it's useful for in my opinion, due to the type of rack it is.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayaks...14' Portabote...as mentioned a bow line and a helper (if available) to push from below.
It's really pretty easy...

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Occasionally, a 16' canoe or a couple of bicycles (handlebars turned 90 degrees, bikes laying flat). I keep an Aluminum, 4' step ladder up there for whatever, like reaching the outside fridge compartment for repair/maintenance while the camper is on the truck. The rails of the rack system are great for anchoring a tarp.
Typically, I enlist the help of a passer-upper when putting items on the roof. For the canoe (about 70-75 pounds), I stand it straight up with the gunwales facing the back of the camper, lean the bow against the rear cross rail and I climb up top while the bottom person steadies the boat. Then, I have my gal pick up the bottom of the boat (stern) while I lift from the top. When you reach the pivot point (or the bottom person runs out of arm length), the bottom person lets go. Easy peasy. The difficult part is avoiding the AC shroud, fridge hood, plumbing vent, skylight, crank vents and the rack's cross bars while walking on top of a moving platform. Make sure your shoelaces are tied, before going up. Our canoe fits nicely around the obstacles.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to take a chance damaging the roof, so we don't carry anything up there. We use the ladder to carry our chairs.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

Phancy
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Thule Box on my roof with approximately 75 pounds of clothing which I have been haulinaround for 5 months and 6000 miles and have not noticed any issues in handling. I will be getting into the Thule for the first time next week.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I remember getting on the roof of our TC and I could stand in the middle and make the TC sway either way just by leaning my 165# frame.
I think that's the absolute worst place to put any heavy weight.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
Due to some mobility and balance issues, I keep my ascent to the roof of my TC to a minimum. After all, my top height is just a little over 12'8" and any additional weight creates more of an issue like waving a ball at the end of a stick. I keep the upper cabinets in my TC interior filled only with very light weight material, as well.

I have a Sat Dish and three 100w panels. I use my TC for 4 seasons and am often in weather in the teens or colder temperatures, so having 300w is an advantage, as well as not needing to tilt my panels, as the 3rd panel provide Watts for ones I am losing buy not tilting them. As well as not needing to get up on the roof too.

I will be adding to my rack system, so as to allow future use to carry Play equipment, such as another kayak.(IMHO you never have enough Kayaks or toys to bring along!)

b

My current Rooftop Landscape, on a Lance 1191 TC

08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Bleugoat
Explorer
Explorer
The first time I climbed the ladder with stuff to put in my roof top carrier, I decided that was more adventure than I needed in my life. ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't use my roof top carrier.
2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Never used it. Might add 2 solar panels in the rear area.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a pop-up I put my kayak on the roof all the time. Don't put anything on the roof of my hardside.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Kayaks weigh 65 pounds, I am 250 and an ex firefighter. I hook on a bow line with a knot every foot and just haul them right on up. quite easy for me to do. My friend Pat built a derrick that snaps onto the molly rack and uses a yachting hand winch to haul up his canoe
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags