cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we too late for escaping the winter

sking
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new-to-us small MH (19CB) in June. We have been enjoying a little trip every other weekend during the summer, and are headed north at the end of August for a few days.
We found out that we can take off for 4 weeks starting on Dec 21st. I know it is the peak season... We are driving from Chicago looking for warm weather. Is it too late to make reservations? We will like Florida, but anywhere with temperature around 65 and higher will be ideal.
Please help!
54 REPLIES 54

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of vacancies in The Rio Grande Valley of Texas from Mission to South Padre Island. This park had full hookup 50 amp sites available all Winter for $200/month. There are some cheaper and many higher. Why stop a hundred miles north when you can gain the much needed five degrees or so by coming down to the Tip of Texas? There are over 400 parks down here and the local news says the anticipated visitors are down again this year.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
NoVa RT wrote:
I would also see if I could get a week at the Jetty Park in St. Augustine.

I second the Jetty Park recommendation, but it is in Cape Canaveral, FL (adjacent to Cocoa Beach, too) about 125 miles south of St. Augustine.

Oh, that's right. Thanks for the correction. Now I recall we stayed in a SP at St. Augustine, prior to going to Jetty Park.

Which one has the big Ron Jon's Surf Shop. It's heck to get old.
🙂
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
From Chicago for a month I would try for Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, Alabama - a straight shot. Full hookups, snowbirds can stay all winter, unlike the normal state park 2-week limit, big sites, absolutely lovely beach, good nearby shopping, restaurants, large fishing pier, close to Pensacola for the awesome air museum. In December, take the short ferry ride from Fort Morgan with your car to Bellingrath Gardens. The state park has a clubhouse for activities and volleyball/tennis, etc. Lots of mid-westerner snowbirds down there. Lots of fresh jumbo shrimp from the boats daily. It's a great area!

http://bellingrath.org/experiences/events/magic-christmas-in-lights/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
There are some nice camp grounds in Old Town FL. Also Rock Crusher in Crystal River FL.(in land)

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that monthly rates are much better then daily or weekly rates.

I stayed one winter at Williston Crossings RV park In Williston, Fl. Real nice place - check out their website. Williston is about 15-20 miles SW of Gainesville. So you're in a small town but not far from a larger city. And not too far of a drive to Cedar Key on the coast. I suggest giving them a call - NOW if interested.

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I would also see if I could get a week at the Jetty Park in St. Augustine.

I second the Jetty Park recommendation, but it is in Cape Canaveral, FL (adjacent to Cocoa Beach, too) about 125 miles south of St. Augustine.
2013 RT 190-Popular

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
LynnandCarol wrote:
For south-TX (Rockport, Port Aransas)
I think of those places a central Texas, not south.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Checkout Southeast GA, Brunswick, Darien and St. Mary's area of GA. That time of year temps are usually in the 60s, 70s and 80s. It has been 80 or close to 80 on Christmas Day most of the Christmas' since we moved to Brunswick 10 years ago.

Little chance you'll have trouble finding something in that area. In Brunswick, there is Coastal GA RV Resort and Blythe Island Regional Park and Campground. In Darien, there is Cathead Creek Ranch and RV Park (small park, maybe 25 sites). There are several in St. Mary's as well.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check out Passport America camping club. $44 year membership and over 1700 campgrounds nationwide. Florida, not so much, but many participating campground in AL, MS, TX you can use the discount during winter months and move around. We wintered near Gulfport MS for 3 winters. It can get cold but daytime temps are usually in your specifications. You can go from New Orleans to Pensacola FL in about 3-4 hours so can explore the coastline in various states. You can view the campgrounds at their website without being a member.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Too late? Last Winter all the posts were about the usual spots were not even close to full with declining trend the past few years.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
you did not post what State????

Mission Texas... Mission Bell RV resort is where I will be in November, and maybe December. I have never been there.. I will see. well rated.

but there are many...

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Try Rock Crusher in Crystal River FL. It's got FHU and trees galore. Feels like a state park. A couple of years ago, we were able to get in there in December on short notice for a short stay. Now, your stay is longer, so don't know how that'll work, but you can try. We were surprised at the availability on short notice that time of year. The office said they don't start getting most of the snowbirds until after the first of the year.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in the southeast from Nov to May and made reservations 2-3 weeks in advance. We didn't get further south than Sarasota, although if we wanted to spend $100 a night for a site at a "resort" we could have gone to Naples area. No thanx.

Snowman9000 and I may have crossed paths. We did Southern Oaks in Summerfield near the Villages and Jetty Park as well.

We ended up in the panhandle in late Jan and Feb. Temps were in the 50s and 60s. We followed the gulf coast around to Galveston, then headed north to LA/TX/OK the beginning of Mar. Never had a problem booking a site.

Now, we moved around a lot and we weren't too particular about where we were. We had a couple of stops planned to visit relatives and friends, but we stayed fairly loose. If you have to be south of I-4 for 70° plus temps, you want to stay in the same spot for the entire month, and you don't want to pay $100 a night, then you are probably too late. Most snowbirds book the next year when they leave in the spring.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Casa Grande, Az has a couple of full amenity RV resorts with openings in the winter.
Fiesta Grande and/or Palm Creek
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
If 65 degrees or so is OK, I would also entertain the Gulf Port/Gulf Shores/Emerald coast area. It will be a much closer drive, I55 down to I10 is a good pull, rates will be good in that area, easy to pick up and move, and parks won't be full other then the high demand ones.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.