cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California Firearm Compliance

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
I have a license to carry a handgun issued by the State of Texas. For the most part, all states recognize this license... However, California does not. What do I need to do when entering California to comply with the state laws regarding a handgun in my possession (either in the tow vehicle or in the camper).

TIA.....
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
74 REPLIES 74

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
You wanna know what to do? Start with exercising your constitutional right of keeping your mouth shut when it comes to your firearms. No officer is going to ask and unless it's in sight, no officer is going to have cause to search. Unless you give permission, the gun will remain undiscovered...

There is getting in trouble, and there is seeking trouble. I am not in a public forum advocating breaking the law. However there are times it is just better to keep your mouth shut and don't do anything to invite trouble. Don't break the traffic laws to cause an encounter with a LEO. And if you do, don't go asking them about the gun you have stashed in the trunk or wherever. Don't give them permission to search your vehicle, and don't give them any reason to search your vehicle - such as having something illegal in plain sight.

California is a gun-hater state. Setting the legal aspects aside, don't go and carry the gun. One unintentional flash of the gun and someone may get all hysterical and call the police because they are scared. Now you are greeted with guns drawn and a felony take-down.

Don't invite trouble and it is unlikely trouble will find you.

Or do what I do....make every effort to avoid California.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
without reading all the postings.
go to this web site

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

but as to traveling around in ca with any pistol. gun must be unloaded.in a locked container (can be a hard or soft case) (a lock is what any kid to old person would call a "lock" key or combo. cheap **** to a very good one).
ammo can be in the same container, including fully loaded mags.

NO MAGS THAT CAN MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS.

long guns can be on a back seat no container. but keep covered out of sight

NO MAGS THAT CAN HOLD MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS.

can not place any pistol into a glove-box or center console in your car or truck.
all pistols, rifles, shotguns must be locked up so NO person under 21 can access them.
keep them out of reach of the front seat. trunk is best, or a storage locker in your trucks bed.
i use a pelican style case to transport my pistols. on the back seat floor of my truck. but i live in the hills, in some city's. lock them up very good in the trunk. or rv.
your rv or tent camp site is your home.when parked for the night, while driving it is a motorcoach.
keep the guns out of sight. as some parks are forbidden to have any guns there.
never brandish a gun, if you use a gun expect to go to jail. (right or wrong go to jail).
ca does not allow other states ccw permits. it is hard for us living here to get a permit.
also some pistols are a crime to have, (not on the "safe" hand gun list).
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
for the o/p, JUST STAY OUT OF CA.
Jay D.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Golly----I LOVE Idaho and it's lack of gun haters. Walk through the Costco and you might see more then a couple weapons hanging around. We can buy as many rounds as we have money for, stop by the holster shop and pick a new holder, get a couple 15 round mags at the other store, pick up a pizza and the mail, go home, kiss the little lady, pat the dog, and relax. Life is good!!
We carry bear spray AND a firearm for our protection when traveling. This is our choice and each person has the opportunity to chose their comfort level.
Peace out fellow traveler

sounds great, I'm going to look for some property there.
Jay D.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Golly----I LOVE Idaho and it's lack of gun haters. Walk through the Costco and you might see more then a couple weapons hanging around. We can buy as many rounds as we have money for, stop by the holster shop and pick a new holder, get a couple 15 round mags at the other store, pick up a pizza and the mail, go home, kiss the little lady, pat the dog, and relax. Life is good!!
We carry bear spray AND a firearm for our protection when traveling. This is our choice and each person has the opportunity to chose their comfort level.
Peace out fellow traveler

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
This is the best information for each state. Just click on the state of interest and all the information is available.

HANDGUN LAW US

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
d3500ram wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well not to take this off track, BUT in Oregon there is a bill being introduced to limit purchase of ammo to 20 rounds per month!:S

We took a week long (Four Day) firearms class near Las Vegas, the recommended number of rounds per person was 1,200. There were four of us traveling there and had about 6,000 rounds of ammo with us for the class, and some possible extra shooting time.

Something else in common! We have taken courses there two times and are scheduled to go again in March and April.

I actually need to remove my ammo from my basement as the front rams can not lift the RV any longer.

Would you be referring to "Iggy's place" just outside of Harumph?
Have been a member for 8 years or so... wish he would get that darn RV park built!

It isnโ€™t done yet?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Www.uscarry.com is an excellent source site and there are usually links to states laws.
Me, I now just avoid places that consider me a slave or subject.
I live in north western PA and no longer travel to NY and all of the New England area, even though I enjoyed my time living in CT in the 70's & 80's while in the US Navy. Since then CT has gone gun control crazy, MA always was. I have no need to ever go to MD or NJ. I have traveled over half the world and a lot of the USA. I've been to the whole left coast, lots of beautiful country that I will not see again ;). But there is so much to see and places to go camping in the relatively free parts of the USA that I will never be bored exploring that ๐Ÿ˜‰
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It's liable to change 5 more times before you get there. Some of us just aren't going to be subjugated. There's plenty of other places to visit
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of info, and I appreciate the feedback. Seems simple.. I will adhere to the magazine rule of 10 rounds or less and before crossing the state line I will unload, lock, and stow my handgun in my camper.

Thanks again...
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
by law you have to unload your hand gun and store it away from the cab separate from your ammo.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well not to take this off track, BUT in Oregon there is a bill being introduced to limit purchase of ammo to 20 rounds per month!:S

We took a week long (Four Day) firearms class near Las Vegas, the recommended number of rounds per person was 1,200. There were four of us traveling there and had about 6,000 rounds of ammo with us for the class, and some possible extra shooting time.

Something else in common! We have taken courses there two times and are scheduled to go again in March and April.

I actually need to remove my ammo from my basement as the front rams can not lift the RV any longer.

Would you be referring to "Iggy's place" just outside of Harumph?
Have been a member for 8 years or so... wish he would get that darn RV park built!
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
I don't want to derail this thread. However a lot of mentioning about mags with capacity of 10 rounds or less.

How does this apply to guns like my ole Smith 9mm that came with 15 round standard double stack mag?

It depends upon how the statute is worded. Some states say that a 15 round mag is fine, but cannot be loaded with more than 10 rounds. Other states (like NY) say that you can only carry a weapon that carries 7 rounds or less... so if you have 7 rounds in an 8 round mag you are in violation.

You would have to physically block the SW mag so that it can only physically hold the maximum amount of rounds.

OP, you need to research each individual state that you wish to enter with a weapon. Every state is different. Maryland (with Baltimore City, one of the highest per capita murder rates in the free world...) has VERY strict guns laws (which do nothing to stop the criminals...). We do not accept any other states concealed or open carry permits. You have to be LEO, retired LEO or one of the very few with a Maryland carry permit.

NY got rid of the seven round rule. Ten round magazines are legal and you can carry the full ten rounds in the magazine.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Think, when was the last time a cop pulled you over. Unless you look like a gang-banger or some counter-culture waco or smell like pot, I wouldn't worry about being found out for being CCW. Better to be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessarily a California question, but I wanted to know if this requirement was common in other states and if you comply.

North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state. To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina (regardless of your home state), in addition to the usual prohibitions and requirements you must:

1. Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina.

2. If carrying, inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.

I generally agree with keeping communication with LEOs to a minimum, but other states probably know if I have a permit and I would not want my silence to lead to a violation.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA