cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campfire fanny warmer

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
I read about this on a camping forum but I do not remember where, however I thought I would share this with everyone since it worked so well. My wife loves sitting around a nice campfire when it is cold outside but she complains that she ends up with "cold butt syndrome".

I read on line about someone that came up with an idea how to fix that so we tried it last night when the temps were in the lower 30's. Take a 3 pound metal coffee can, put 4 hot charcoal briquettes in it and sit the can under the chair. It puts out enough heat to warm the chair (and the fanny) but not so much as to do any harm to the chair. As the briquettes burn down take some chunks of glowing embers from the fire and use that. I cannot tell you how well this idea works. Keep the coffee can lid to close up the can after you are done with it and have dumped out the ashes.

To whoever came up with idea: A 6 pack to you my friend!

Moved to General RVing Issues forum from DIY.

2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK
29 REPLIES 29

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
If it's 30ยฐ out I'm not out- I'm in- Period...
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to Wally World (or your favourite discount store) and buy the cheapest, largest cookie sheet you can find.

Drill 2 small holes in one short side and tie a 3' piece of string into each hole. When you set up your wife's camp chair put the cookie sheet underneath it on a 45 deg. angle and tie the strings to the chair such that it stays there.

When your done put the cookie sheet in the chair and fold up the chair.

I've got one for the DW that cost me a whole $0.50 at a yard sale. Yeah, I'm a big spender, she's worth it.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Trlrboy wrote:
Jagtech wrote:
Wouldn't this work?

Campfire back warmer

Yes that would work. $19.95.
My coffee can: zero
Results: Pricelss ๐Ÿ™‚

You are absolutely right! Cost is zero, and that's after you got to enjoy the coffee!! The $19.95 item was just for interest. ๐Ÿ™‚
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
Jagtech wrote:
Wouldn't this work?

Campfire back warmer

Yes that would work. $19.95.
My coffee can: zero
Results: Pricelss ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Neat ideas but I just stand and up face back end toward fire. When backside is warn, rotate a little like a rotisserie chicken ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jagtech wrote:
Wouldn't this work?

Campfire back warmer

That's brilliant!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

John_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The charcoal in a can sounds like a great idea.
We rarely sit out when it's in the 30's but often when it's in the 50's. We have a couple of rectangular, rubber backed throw-rugs that go in our chairs; down the back and across the seat. Keeps the back and butt nice and warm.
John and Susan
2018 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't this work?

Campfire back warmer
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
oh, yeah! GREAT idea! We saw a guy placing burning coals from their fire around his wife's chair...THIS is a better idea by far!

Trlrboy wrote:
I read about this on a camping forum but I do not remember where, however I thought I would share this with everyone since it worked so well. My wife loves sitting around a nice campfire when it is cold outside but she complains that she ends up with "cold butt syndrome".

I read on line about someone that came up with an idea how to fix that so we tried it last night when the temps were in the lower 30's. Take a 3 pound metal coffee can, put 4 hot charcoal briquettes in it and sit the can under the chair. It puts out enough heat to warm the chair (and the fanny) but not so much as to do any harm to the chair. As the briquettes burn down take some chunks of glowing embers from the fire and use that. I cannot tell you how well this idea works. Keep the coffee can lid to close up the can after you are done with it and have dumped out the ashes.

To whoever came up with idea: A 6 pack to you my friend!

Moved to General RVing Issues forum from DIY.

1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
stuplich wrote:
We use these: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24173656&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:24173656:16842688:HUNTING-&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_-HUNTING-_-HUNTING-_-SKU-16842688

Clicky
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
We use these: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24173656&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:24173656:16842688:HUNTING-&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_-HUNTING-_-HUNTING-_-SKU-16842688

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yoga mat.

I bought a 5/8" thick, closed-cell yoga mat; and cut it into pieces. I use it to keep my backside warm when we kayak in the winter (it won't absorb water); pad the deck of my Hobie Bravo catamaran; and as a chair or bleacher cushion. Bought another one to use whole, on top of my cot for early spring tent camping.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had, years ago, a heavy wool tuxedo with tails, which I got for a halloween costume. It was great for around the campfire, albeit looked kinda silly. The long wool back held the warmth and the abbreviated cut front was perfect for the heat of the fire. After a couple of camp trips and ribbing from our friends, I had to do the next logical thing. I found an old top hat. Completed the ensemble, and stayed warm.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually have my Mr Buddy heater with us for PLAN-B heating if needed. This is what we use alot around the camp fires to direct some heat to our siting area. Works great and allows us to exerise the Mr Buddy heater to keep it in good working order.

We do the same thing with our portable box fan when siting aorund the camp fires in the summer months... Also helps to keep mosquitoes away from us...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TheBeag5plus
Explorer
Explorer
Me too!! Thanks for sharing!
The mountains are calling and I must go.