cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds with Seasonals. Yes/No?

hoojs
Explorer
Explorer
What's the general consensus. We try to avoid CG with seasonals (other than work campers/hosts). We've not had good experience when the parks have seasonals. It always seems they feel its "their" park and they either ignore rules that are enforced on visitors, or run over guests as they try to use the parks amenities. I see most as a place for the parents to drink beer and ride around in golfcarts, while children run unsupervised. Growing up camping we were allowed at an appropriate age to go on our own, but we didn't bully other children out of their fun either. (When you see kids behave that way, then you see the parents it usually makes sense). Maybe it's just me and I'm to uptight.
54 REPLIES 54

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to the best potlucks and BBQs with seasonals and long terms in many parks. Join in and have fun. I do not need to be segregated from anyone. We like people.

Pogoil.

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we do both (6 month seasonal and rest of year travel around) I see some of both sides of this question. In our seasonal park the atmosphere is one of openness to all regardless of their time frame at the park. Yes we long termers know you aren't a long termer but would never consider acting differently towards you than to others in the park. But I have been in parks where the long term summer residents have a "clique" and tend to not treat others with the same respect and status that their "friends" receive. How do I treat this park and their residents? I vote with my money and time - I don't go back. If an owner loses several hundred dollars a weekend from 10 to 20 travelers because his park has gotten labeled as unfriendly, he'll either figure it out or go out of business. Either way the seasonal's causing this problem lose and travels still have other good choices.
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
As a weekender that has traveled well over 250K miles camping and as a seasional let me tell you how many seasionals see it. I pay over 3K a year for my site...I pay my own electric....I have to cut my grass and trim...keep my site up to standards (so it looks good to the transients) and have rules put upon me that the transient does not have. That being said it is my experience that rules are harder on seasionals then transients in general. Also most of the damage and vandalism done here is by transients kids not the seasionals kids. Many transients come into the park and take over the place and care less about us. Keep in mind if it were nor for seasionals in todays economy you would see most campgrounds go under. Management kisses the butt of transients and looks at us that keep him in business as an evil thing. Like I said I have been on both sides and still am and you weekenders have it easy.

I would say this varies greatly from park to park.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
As a weekender that has traveled well over 250K miles camping and as a seasional let me tell you how many seasionals see it. I pay over 3K a year for my site...I pay my own electric....I have to cut my grass and trim...keep my site up to standards (so it looks good to the transients) and have rules put upon me that the transient does not have. That being said it is my experience that rules are harder on seasionals then transients in general. Also most of the damage and vandalism done here is by transients kids not the seasionals kids. Many transients come into the park and take over the place and care less about us. Keep in mind if it were nor for seasionals in todays economy you would see most campgrounds go under. Management kisses the butt of transients and looks at us that keep him in business as an evil thing. Like I said I have been on both sides and still am and you weekenders have it easy.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know of any campgrounds not located in a "destination" area that does not have seasonals. I do appreciate the transitional be in a separate area.
Many times I have seen that management has abdicated part of their responsibilities and allow the seasonals to run a vigilante like ad hoc neighborhood watch.
Worst experience I ever had was in Pa. about ten years ago. I do understand the trepidation that some seasonals had,but the reaction was way over the top.
We were a very large party,5 sites,5 trailers and a tent 2 boats and 8 vehicles. The harassment started while we were setting up. Golf cart pulls up and just sits down the road watching us, eventually the fat guy gets out and starts rehashing the camp rules, then goes on to inform us that we had to many vehicles on site. We were setting up! None of the vehicles were excess (we were allowed 2 at each site) but we did move some to the parking lot for our sake.
After we did get settled in the rest of the 4 days we had a watch dog, one of 3 patrol by our site every half hour or forty five minutes. Sometimes they even went so far as to sit just down the road like they were on some kind of stake out surveiling us.
My Bil spoke to managment about it and was told that,"That is just old so and so,they have been coming here forever,and just like to keep an eye on things."
We were a family group, ranging in age from newborn to 70 plus, we were not and had no intention of hard partying or rule breaking. Between the dockage fees for the boats, the payment for the sites the amount of money that was spent in the camp store,the owners made a good buck that weekend.
We never returned and never will.

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
Where there are problems it is probably with the campground's enforcement of their rules.

True. Applicable on both sides of the equation.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO the number of seasonal campers has increased since the price of gas has gone way up. Many are the same people that used to be non seasonal campers. Most are no different than the weekend campers that take their campers home during the week.

Where there are problems it is probably with the campground's enforcement of their rules.

I can also see the campground owners side. The seasonals pay the bills, the transients give them spending money.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
One RV park I frequent had mixed seasonal use, the seasonal people were pretty good about following the rules. Guess the adage of not pooping where you sleep comes to mind.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Lessee now. Fishing from a moving boat is called TROLLING, right? I'll betcha that the OP lives under a troll bridge.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I think the OP is painting all seasonal campers with the same brush. I have experienced the seasonal campers that sort of shun the transients but I have also experienced very welcoming seasonals. I have experienced friendly transients and rude transients.
Trying to label/group all seasonals together is incorrect and unfair to those that welcome transients.
We all are individuals, I do not want to be judged based on someone that somehow appears to be similar to me!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

hoojs
Explorer
Explorer
Bryanpark2 wrote:
What's the general consensus. We try to avoid CG with seasonals (other than work campers/hosts). We've not had good experience when the parks have seasonals. It always seems they feel its "their" park and they either ignore rules that are enforced on visitors, or run over guests as they try to use the parks amenities. I see most as a place for the parents to drink beer and ride around in golfcarts, while children run unsupervised. Growing up camping we were allowed at an appropriate age to go on our own, but we didn't bully other children out of their fun either. (When you see kids behave that way, then you see the parents it usually makes sense). Maybe it's just me and I'm to uptight.

Really, I find your comments totally offensive. I would like to be the first to thank you for not visiting the parks I stay in. I'm not sure how many seasonals have children with them to begin with. Every time I have stayed with seasonals I have found that they have welcomed everyone with open arms. Maybe you need to take a closer look.

I simply asked a question based on my experience that I acknowledge was limited. Not sure why you take offense. I try to be open minded. If I had already made up my mind I would not ask for insight from more experienced RVer's. I haven't written off the entire seasonal camper population, I would like to think people haven't written me off either.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been to quite a few campgrounds with seasonals, and we've never had an issue.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
We have met some mighty fine people in parks, really could care less if they are traveling, parking for the season or staying long term.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Pogoil.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mixed experiences with seasonal parks here. Mostly good. There have been a few where owners have allowed seasonals to let sites get looking downright trashy but most have been neat & tidy. Most seasonals seem happy to have somebody different to talk to.

Once we showed up at a CG with our truck & 5er under tow. People were all over themselves offering help.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bryanpark2
Explorer
Explorer

Really, I find your comments totally offensive. I would like to be the first to thank you for not visiting the parks I stay in. I'm not sure how many seasonals have children with them to begin with. Every time I have stayed with seasonals I have found that they have welcomed everyone with open arms. Maybe you need to take a closer look.
2013 Jayco Jayflight 26RLS
2011 Trundra 4.6 V-8