cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds with Seasonals. Yes/No?

hoojs
Explorer
Explorer
What's the general consensus. We try to avoid CG with seasonals (other than work campers/hosts). We've not had good experience when the parks have seasonals. It always seems they feel its "their" park and they either ignore rules that are enforced on visitors, or run over guests as they try to use the parks amenities. I see most as a place for the parents to drink beer and ride around in golfcarts, while children run unsupervised. Growing up camping we were allowed at an appropriate age to go on our own, but we didn't bully other children out of their fun either. (When you see kids behave that way, then you see the parents it usually makes sense). Maybe it's just me and I'm to uptight.
54 REPLIES 54

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO I prefer parks that do not have a large concentration of seasonal's. They do tend to take ownership of the campground. They all know each other fraternize with each other etc. Now I am particularly speaking of those that own winter homes with in a snowbird park. Long term RVers have never been a problem. The biggest problem I have is with campgrounds that have permanent residents mixed in with the RV crowd. They park their cars, trucks, 4 wheelers just about any where they please. I have had to wake them at 4-5 a.m. to be able to get my motorhome and tow past their vehicles left on the berm of the very narrow street. Now that makes for some interesting starts for the day.

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
LOL! The few government run CG's in the area are booked solid, as soon as they become available.

All of our state parks fill up fast as well. They have an online reservation system that allows 90 days in advance. And boy let me tell you if you want to camp in certain CGs you better be online at 7am 90 days in advance or you are done.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! Unfortunately, here in Southern New England, there are no national parks and prices for campsites are as high as anywhere..... I guess it's what we have become used to. The few government run CG's in the area are booked solid, as soon as they become available.

docj wrote:

At $70-80/night I would like to hope it's really nice. That's a bit too pricy for our budget no matter how nice it is. We have stayed at full hookup campgrounds in some of the most beautiful national parks in the US and Canada for a lot less than that. Somehow anything man-made can't compete, in my mind, with what nature can provide. To each his own, JMO.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
We avoid private campgrounds at all costs. We have also witnessed the seasonal camper thing an will not consider staying staying anywhere that allows them from our previous experience.

With that being said please don't take that as meaning we think all seasonals are bad or dirty. I'm sure some on here have some beautiful rigs set up in fantastic spots. We've just not seen them in our travels probably partly due to using some private campgrounds as stop overs only and not seeing others to compare too
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen the behavior the OP mentioned only a couple times but not in all parks. Most that I have been to that have seasonal sites have them set off in a farther back part of the park. I think that is good for both sides as the seasonal folks don't have the constant in and out traffic. I feel they are two very distinct types of camping and are better off to not overlap too much. The folks are great but they get comfortable in the park and that does sometimes rub others the wrong way. I have been to one place that I will not go again do to them catering to the seasonals and the locals and we travelers were almost treated as a nuisance. By and large I personally like the seasonal folks. They are good to visit with and good for local info. Plus I have 3 small children so it often works out well for my kids to make to friends to play with. That being said we do tend to prefer our state parks here in SD. - But not because of this topic. We just like them better.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
Really? Well, the place is easily one of the best CG's I've ever been to and I would much rather that they keep it in pristine condition then let is become a camper salvage yard, like many other CG's with seasonal programs I have seen. Normandy Farms is in the top 1% of CG's I have stayed at.

docj wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:

You are inspected periodically and you must be INVITED back the following year.

Thanks for identifying the CG in question; it sounds like just the kind of place I would want to avoid. If I have to have an invitation for the privilege of making a reservation, that is at least one level of pretentiousness more than I can stomach.

At $70-80/night I would like to hope it's really nice. That's a bit too pricy for our budget no matter how nice it is. We have stayed at full hookup campgrounds in some of the most beautiful national parks in the US and Canada for a lot less than that. Somehow anything man-made can't compete, in my mind, with what nature can provide. To each his own, JMO.

I have stayed at Normandy Farms. And yes...It's a pretty nice place. Very well managed, and quite strict. Things like motor cycles need to be parked at the visitor parking, and NOT ridden through the park. But also pretty pricey for what you get. Certainly not what I would consider in the top 1%. Just let one of their precious skunks go walking through a site, while the site renters dog is tied up. Even if you are 10 sites away, you won't be back.

But their rules on seasonals, does make the place look a lot better than many others in New England. If you want to see the other side of the coin, go visit Del-Aire Camping Resort in Tolland, CT. I'll bet you won't get out of the truck.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
Really? Well, the place is easily one of the best CG's I've ever been to and I would much rather that they keep it in pristine condition then let is become a camper salvage yard, like many other CG's with seasonal programs I have seen. Normandy Farms is in the top 1% of CG's I have stayed at.

docj wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:

Thanks for identifying the CG in question; it sounds like just the kind of place I would want to avoid. If I have to have an invitation for the privilege of making a reservation, that is at least one level of pretentiousness more than I can stomach.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer

docj wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
All depends on what type of scenery you like to see when you wake up after pulling in late into a CG the previous night!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:

X2:B
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

docj
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
I just spent a weekend as a transient camped across from what we termed "Sanford and Salem." I'm sure at least five missing pets and the production crew of "Hoarders" was in there somewhere.

The truth? It wasn't the prettiest view but, I'm staying two nights - not buying the place.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
This thread makes me ROTFLMAO.

I go to campgrounds to sleep, eat and maybe relax for an hour or two. That's it. I don't let anybody else ruin my day or night because they stay at a campground year around or have weeds or a BBQ at their site.

Why do I care if I'm parked next to a 2013 Prevost MH or a 1972 Fireball 5th wheel?

IN MY BEST JACK DAWSON SPEECH:

I'm in an RV for Christ sake. I park my TT and I'm so lucky because I get to go site seeing all day in some of the most beautiful sites in the world! I sleep and pull up stakes in the morning to go site seeing at another beautiful place.

If I'm lucky I get to do this 14 times. If I'm really lucky like this year, I get to do it 21 times!!

I don't even really remember the campgrounds I stayed at or what was in them. I don't remember what parked next to me or how many full timers there were in each campground I stayed at.

What I do remember is the crazy beautiful fireworks show in Rawlins Wy. The dirt track racing in Cody Wy. The Bad Lands and Mt Rushmore in SD. Sue the cow in ND. Little Big horn in Mt. More racing in Post Falls Id. My great friends in Pasco Wa. The Dalles, OMSI and the Tillamook blimp hanger in Oregon.................... NOW THAT is what I remember! ๐Ÿ™‚

Trailer park?? What trailer park? :Z
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago,we were running down I-5 in northern Ca and were going to stop in Redding,but the DW says,"let's just go a little farther as it's still early".Heard that before haven't you? Well,it got dark and I missed a couple of campgrounds and remembered that there was a place in Dunnigan with a big red RV sign on a wooden water tower. Pulled in and found that they didn't have speed bumps,but speed holes. The lady there was very nice,even though she was in a glassed in booth,kinda like a Motel 6.$20 a night and when we got to our site,I didn't even bother unhooking the TT as I figgered I might need a quick getaway. The next AM,I took the dog for a walk and met some very nice folks, who lived there,walking their dogs also and I also met some really nice kids playing football while waiting for the school bus.Nicely dressed and very nice with no attitudes. The bathrooms were a bit old,but very clean along with the laundry room. The laundry room had several fresh holes in the wall and a lady in there washing clothes,said that some overniter and his wife had had a fight and he had kicked the holes in the wall.
All in all,seasonals,or permanents or whatever youi call them,don't really bother me and,who knows,one of these days,you or I could be one also.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)