cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone have problems with new DRW and clearance

camp_nut
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at upgrading to a new Ram 3500 DRW but it looks like the box is higher then my 06 SRW. About 2-3". I am worried that I will loose the bed rail to box clearance or the trailer will run nose high. I probably have close to 2000 lbs of pin weigh plus I have a 60 gal aux. fuel take in the be adding another 600lbs. How much will a duelly level out with that much weight. If it drops 3-4" I should be good.
2011 3010 Cyclone
With a MegaCab CTD out front.

St. Clair MI
12 REPLIES 12

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Went from an 2003 srw Ram to a 2012 drw both 4x4. I had raised the shackles on the fiver because I had a king pin extender which raised the pin on the hitch. When I got my 2012 I installed a B&W 3300 and set it on the highest setting to begain with. To my amazemet I have 6 in. of clearance. The brand of hitch and its height along with adjustment in the pin box and or axles will usually take care of the problem.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have the truck in my sig. I also have the picture frame adapter, which set's higher in bed of the truck then a regular rail system. My 5er weighs 16,000# with a pin weight of 3300#, I had about 5.5" of clearance between 5er and bedrails...No issue. I've since beefed up my 5er's suspension by going from 3500# spring packs to 4,000# spring packs which raised the 5er another inch...So I'm at a tad over 1" height and 5er is more level than it has been on last two trucks.

No problems with height..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a TT and went from 04 3/4 ton to 1 ton dually truck is higher than old one but had to make no changes to hitch height or change WDH set up TT before close to level and still is.

Bombfixer
Explorer
Explorer
No height problems with my 2014 DRW Ram. I have the picture frame adaptor between my hitch and the truck bed. That buys me about 1 1/2 inches in height. When hitched up, I have 6 inches of separation.

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
We have no issues with clearance using the new Ram.

2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I have not had any problems with mine. But then again, mine is 2wd.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Went from '04 RAM DRW to a 2014. Slightly higher, but caused no problem.

tsetsaf wrote:
It is a common issue and requires changes to the pinbox position or in worst cases flipping of the trailer axles or some other means to raise the trailer. Better yet you could go to a hot rod shop and have them bag and slam the new truck.

When I bought my dually new in 2006, I had the height issues. It was way too high.

I checked into slamming it but there is not the room in there to drop it any more than a couple inches at the most without running into the wheels hitting things.
I hated having it far enough off the ground to fly a jet through the back wheel wells but was faced with slamming it a couple inches, at a great expense, or just leaving it alone. I left it alone and still wish it was closer to the ground.

I'm sure all 3 are the same in this regard.

I don't know why they have to make them so far off the ground. Unnecessary IMO.

Even now after driving it since 2006 with 2000 pounds of toolboxes and rack on it all its life, it still is 53 inches to the top of the bed rails.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is a common issue and requires changes to the pinbox position or in worst cases flipping of the trailer axles or some other means to raise the trailer. Better yet you could go to a hot rod shop and have them bag and slam the new truck.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

flyinguy68
Explorer
Explorer
I just posted the same question over in the toy hauler forum. I have a 2011 GMC and I think I'm lucky if I have 4 inches of clearance (3 is probably more accurate). I have rubbed a few times while off road & I'm afraid I'll eventually do damage.

I'm considering going to an autobody shop and see if they can alter the bed height from the hitch back. Also thought about going to a flat bed but I hate to get that extreme.
'11 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually
'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'08 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
no clearance issues with mine. I have 6" between bed rail and 5vr
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've read from other posters that all 3 major brands have higher beds now. I just took possession of my new Chevy tonight. The bed rails are 2 inches higher on the 2014 model than on the 2005 model (Silverado Dually Diesel).

I have a construction style shell (with the side tool boxes) and ladder rack on top. Because of the 2 inch increase in height, it will not fit in my garage door now. My solution is to removed the ladder rack. That will make truck and shell short enough to still clear my garage door. I'll probably miss the ladder rack, but in the last couple years, we've not been taking our canoe with us (getting too old for the physical part of hauling that thing around), so, don't feel too bad removing the rack.

FYI, I'm a bumper pull (TT), and the hitch now sits slightly higher too and I can't lower the ball any more. I'll probably have to get a new hitch mount with a longer step-down now so the trailer tows level like it use to.

To answer your question, "yes" the bed sides are higher on the new trucks ... all of them.