cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished a nine-month cross-country trip with our 20-foot Prowler. Great fun and very few issues. We used a 110-watt solar suitcase (Renogy) which worked well and we rarely needed a generator. We sometimes had shore power but were able to go 3 days or so with just the collectors. Of course, it depends on the weather (clouds) and the location (trees). We need a lomger cable on the collector to enable us to pick a sunny spot even if we're in the trees. We started in early February and got home on Halloween, so we missed the days with little sun.
But this month, we went to the Anza-Borrego desert park in San Diego county. It was sunny but the sun angle was low and the batteries went dead after 3 days. Now, we're looking for a generator. (We had borrowed a Honda 2000 for our big trip. They're great, but expensive)
We see Harbor Freight has an inexpensive generator but I read where people had bad experiences with them. Walmart has a "Sportsman" for a little more dough. Anyone used one of these?
63 REPLIES 63

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Flatfive; how do you intend to use a generator? There are none quiet enough to run in a "No generator" area and there are others that are too noisy to use in a truck stop. I usually park with hookups but wanted a generator to run at parking lots or away from other people along the way. The Champion 3500/4000 non inverter models work great for me. I dumped my Honda 2000i as I did not want to tie up nearly $2,000 to do what the Champion does for $300. I do NOT use it in a campground within one hundred feet of other campers. Two hundred feet and nobody will complain. Thirty amps of power, the same as most RV parks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
But both pale in comparison to the newest Yamaha 2800 units. And yes, I have compared the performance of all of them.

Apparently not the noise specs - WAY too noisy. :R

The newest Inverter Champions and Yami's are both very quiet.
The non-inverter Champions are hideous.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
But both pale in comparison to the newest Yamaha 2800 units. And yes, I have compared the performance of all of them.

Apparently not the noise specs - WAY too noisy. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Buy your last generator first. That means dont buy a cheapo and then have to dump it and buy a good one.
Speaking in terms of 2000 watt gennys, the Champions are OK as are the Yamahas (which are better) but both lack the incredible surge capacity of the Honda.
If I could dump my Honda eu2000 for what I paid for it*, I'd sell it and get the bigger Yamaha.
So this is not the time to save a buck. You wont be sorry.

(*It is NOT for sale.)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Flatfive wrote:
(We had borrowed a Honda 2000 for our big trip. They're great, but expensive)

2oldman wrote:
Yes, you get what you pay for.

Or in this case, what the OP did not pay for. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I also own a Champion 2000. Great generator for the money. If any wants more info the 2000, there is 291 pages of reading here:

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go on the net and read the reviews on the Champion 2000, you will be impressed. I own two and highly recommend them.

Explorer
Explorer
HARBOR FREIGHT GENERATORS ARE SHI EAT
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
When I lost my Honda 3000 Inverter genset, I purchased two Champion 2000W generators and a parallel kit for right around $1K. You can pick up a 2000W Champion for $447 on Amazon with free Prime shipping. I ran a test with the two Champions in parallel against one Honda 3000 with the same load. The Champions measured 2dB more on my calibrated noise meter than the Honda. You can not discern 2dB with the human ear.

Yes, the Honda may last longer, but I can purchase several Champion generators for the price of one Honda 3000IS.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
If you are set on purchase of a second rate unit I suggest spending time reading reviews. This may save you. db rateings can be deceptive depending on the distance reading is taken. Also quality will remain long after purchase price is forgotten. Best of luck.Lots of differing opinions on this topic. We all mean well
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have in the past felt that the HFT 2000watt generator was a good deal for the price of $429. I know that some feel that even Wen is better and blah, blah, blah. I also read all the, too loud, not reliable, spend more than twice as much you'll be better off.

Personally I think for my needs and where I camp, the HFT 2000w genny is good, however, the Champion may be not only be a better dollar value, which is appears to be, but has a pretty good reputation. Also I see that most of the responders to your post are trailer guys and maybe tend to camp where there are hook ups. We like dispersed and public camp grounds which have few hook ups if any. We need to either run our Onan or our engine or maybe something like one of the low cost 2000w inverters. I don't really think I want to spend $2000 or more for a genny that will get used maybe 30 hours a year.

My point is that many have ingrained prejudices and many tout their own wants and needs. I know hearing those points should help you decide but do investigation outside this community as well as inside this community. Read evaluations from others and not just the "my feelings".

I know that I'm going to start looking at the Chanpion today.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flatfive wrote:
(We had borrowed a Honda 2000 for our big trip. They're great, but expensive)
Yes, you get what you pay for.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
My experience has taught me that generators are not an item to skimp on. My suggestion is a used HONDA or YAMAHA. Best of luck

X-2

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
My experience has taught me that generators are not an item to skimp on. There are several low grade units to tempt you. My suggestion is a used HONDA or YAMAHA. The knock off units just do not have the quality and are louder. Don't be that guy who has the loud gen unit that we all have to listen to. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Harbor freight 2500 inverter. Runs good for coffee and microwave. will not run a/c unit. I am going to upgrade to the Champion 3100. Why not by a generator that will run everything?