Explorer
Flash flooding...
Some folks not so good.

Rock Creek State Park, Kellogg, IA
15 REPLIES 15

SuperDutyMan
Explorer
Explorer
Wow....what a terrible sight,every one of them ruined,it sure can happen quickly,just hope everyone OK,can always buy another RV...
2011 Palomino Sabre 31RETS,5th Wheel,Triple Slide,4000W Onan Genset
2006 Super Duty,XLT, V10, 6 Speed, 4.10, Tow Command, Tow Pkg. 4X4,Dual Exhaust,K&N,Reese 15K,Air Bags

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if the RV seen in the water are seasonal renters? Because I agree that if I had to get out - I'd sure as heck be bringing the RV with me.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting that the park management let those sites be used with the reservoir already near flood stage and thunderstorms predicted in the area. All it takes is an inch or two of rain in a short period of time to push water up into these "beach" areas.

At several of our local Corps lakes, campsites that can be flooded will be non-reservable, so they may be closed when there is a flood risk. In some cases they will close entire campgrounds, busy holiday weekend or not. Makes people angry to not have those sites, if it doesn't flood, but after a cluster of flash-flood deaths in some Ozark campgrounds, some parks are choosing to err on the side of caution.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
My SIL said she had pictures of it but she didnt have her phone with her at the time. Sshe said Rock Creek and then thought later she meant Lake Red Rock. Wow! I was thinking of going there next week with the Grandson. Havent been there for years.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I see the OP said a flash flood caused this. Was there no warning from the weather channel or other agencies in the area. This is terrible!!

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
As long as those RV's have comprehensive coverage they will be fine as unlike a homeowners policy, flood is not excluded.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

skyflyer
Explorer
Explorer
Wow small world!!

Channel 5/8/13 just left the campground.

I also had a lake front site. I looked out my window a couple times during the night checking my awning that I didnt put away like I should have. The last time was a little after 5AM.

This is what I found when I got up at 6:30

I got very lucky with water only about half way up the frame.
I moved fast and pulled out in time before the water went any higher.
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR
2016 chevy Silverado

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hope they have really good insurance coverage.....those RV's are totaled.

Surprised there are no vehicles :H

If I have time to get my truck out.......rig is going with me.

Tornadoes, flooding......central states are taking a whack.
Already fires in western states.......way too early start.

My worst weekend pales in comparison.

X2 for sure, Would not leave the 5er, slides in and don't worry about anything else. I also keep a close eye on the weather forecast.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Vermont is in tough shape-lots of flooding and then a foot of snow in some areas. Down here the weather was lousy Saturday, better yesterday, and beautiful today. Even if we still had an RV we would be home this weekend as we just got back from Denmark/Iceland a week ago. I imagine the camping around Moore, OK, isn't so hot either. My heart and prayers go out to all who have been affected.

One last thought-the pictures from the OP are a reminder to NEVER underestimate the power of water, whether moving or still.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
I was just complaining that I have been basically laid off for about 6 weeks now, and this is the first year we just havent had the financial support to go out for MMD WKND. After looking at those pics. My house looks rather nice right now.

I sure do feel sorry for those folks. As mentioned-no trucks. Im guessing that everybody escaped BEFORE the trailers became boats. Trailers can be replaced, people can not. Thank You Dear Jesus, for the safety of those folks.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh no. ๐Ÿ˜ž What a shame!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

sele
Explorer
Explorer
how very sad we just missed something similar in missouri about 3 weeks ago down at ST francis State park. This just makes you feel sick inside.
scott

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hope they have really good insurance coverage.....those RV's are totaled.

Surprised there are no vehicles :H

If I have time to get my truck out.......rig is going with me.

Tornadoes, flooding......central states are taking a whack.
Already fires in western states.......way too early start.

My worst weekend pales in comparison.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
We did not park that close to the water! All the good spots were taken!
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box